Turn Signal (Blinker) & Headlight Problem

I'm looking for some help diagnosing a problem with the turn signals and headlights that I'm having. I have a '91 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton pickup (5.7L) 210K mi. that gives me problems with the turn signals. Conditions are as follows:

  1. With the headlights/running lights OFF and Turn Signals ON - Turn signals appear to work fine except there is a faint flicker in the opposite light on the rear. Meaning, if the left turn signal is ON, the right rear flickers faintly at the same speed and time as the left. There is also a minor fluctuation of the voltmeter on the dashboard.

  1. With the headlights/running lights ON - There are no rear lights ON at all.

  2. With the headlights/running lights ON and Turn Signals ON - The turn signals turn ON and stay ON. Also, the opposite light on the rear is faintly ON. There is no fluctuation of the voltmeter on the dashboard.

I have two ideas that may be the cause of the problem but any help I can get that will allow me to hone in on the problem would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows a thread that already covers this problem please let me know. Thank you.

-Logan

P.S. - I have already eliminated burned out/bad bulbs as the cause of this problem.

Reply to
logan5

The light that stays on has a bad ground. That's why the other lamp is faintly ON.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Do you have a trailer harness hookup??

Reply to
Marshall

No trailer harness.

Now that the weekend has arrived and the rain has ended I was able to get my brother to help me with the problem. Turns out the ground wire on the tail lights had snapped off. The connector was still bolted to the frame but the ground wire was dangling. Nice simple problem with an easy solution. Thanks for the help.

-Logan

Reply to
logan5

yes I do, matter of a fact it was hanging a couple of days ago so I zip tied it back up and the problem now seems to be intermitent. I'm sure theres a connection.

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan White