Turning off the check engine light

I have a 99 GMC 1500 with the 5.3 engine. 144,000 miles and the check engine light came on.

Nothing appears to be wrong with the truck. How do I turn off this light

Reply to
Brett Long

Check with Autozone or someone who can read the codes, then unplug your battery for about 15 minutes, should reset.

Reply to
rcano

Hi!

You can clear the codes by disconnecting the battery or pulling the ECM fuse for a while. Several minutes should do fine.

Sometimes it happens that the ECM will throw a code for no reason, and this is possible. But if the light comes on again, get your codes read at an Autozone.

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Chances are you've got an O2 sensor related code (with that many miles on it). Like the other guys said - have an Autozone check it out, but please don't be upset if they ask you to wait a few minutes because they're extremely busy. (this is an inside request guys, I've worked in the 'Zone for over 2 years now - you outta see some of the people that flip out because we ask them to wait 5 minutes for a free service.....)

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Chavers

Reply to
ronlin

Auto zone has scanners they let you borrow?

Reply to
Scott M