what did u pay for 60k maintenance at dealer? 99 Silverado

i have 99 Silverado 4x4 with 60k miles, and my bill was a bit high I think, $990.

Here's what they did:

1) flush coolant system 2) flush brake system 3) injector cleaning 4) front diff oil change, rear diff oil change, trans oil change 5) rotate tires 6) a few recalls that were free, 1 related to seat belts

I'm sure I'm missing a few things, don't have receipt with me.

Just curious what others in group paid?

chris

Reply to
chris
.

I wouldn't have paid a penny over $750=B0=B0

But I'm a cheap fk.

scrib abell ~:~would have had really big issues with paying $750=B0=B0......and takes another look at that $76 an hour labor rate~:~ ..... ..... what did u pay for 60k maintenance at dealer? 99 Silverado Group: alt.trucks.chevy Date: Thu, Oct 16, 2003, 10:14am (CDT-2) From: snipped-for-privacy@sneakemail.com (chris) i have 99 Silverado 4x4 with 60k miles, and my bill was a bit high I think, $990. Here's what they did:

1) flush coolant system 2) flush brake system 3) injector cleaning 4) front diff oil change, rear diff oil change, trans oil change 5) rotate tires 6) a few recalls that were free, 1 related to seat belts I'm sure I'm missing a few things, don't have receipt with me.

Just curious what others in group paid?

chris

Reply to
Scrib Abell

""Doc"" wrote

See, you'd make money at the flat rate game. Those items would have paid you around 4.9 hrs at the dealership.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Did they kiss you first?

I don't think a Jiffy Lube type place would have charged more than a couple hundred for what's listed below.

Reply to
scrape at nc dot rr dot com

"Eightupman" wrote

By the way, I ought to add that you can feel free to use some sort of chemical flush if you want. Most of the chemical flushes that you buy over the counter really don't amount to much from what I've seen. The "chemical" flush I was thinking of was the one that is performed on badly plugged up Jimmy's, and in that case, the flush chemical is very nasty, highly caustic, and it cleans like a damn. But you wouldn't want to use it in a regular flush situation.

When we perform was is termed a "flush" at our dealership, it really is simply a "fluid exchange". Due to environmental concerns, we have machines that just exchange the old fluid with new coolant. There is a "chemical flush" that you pour in and allow it to circulate until the t/stat opens up, but from observing hundreds of these procedures, I am quite skeptical about how useful these chemicals are.

The main thing is to get fresh antifreeze in the engine, which replenishes all of the additive packages that will be worn, or non-existent in the old coolant.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

---------------------------------------- Ouch!!!!!!

Reply to
Scott M

Reply to
George

It was just a point of referrence - not a recommendation. You could do everything listed yourself for well under $50.00.

Reply to
scrape at nc dot rr dot com

Reply to
sidewinder

Did you at least get a reach-around while they hammered you in the arse?

Reply to
KB

Coolant is like $6/gallon unmixed. So let's say it takes 2 and you turn it into a 50/50 mix. 4 Gallons of Coolant Mix $12?

Some places have neat machines that quickly swap it.

I just bought a big bottle of DOT 3 for $2. I typically vacula out the master cylinder, refill, and then manually bleed the brakes until the system is clean.. Takes about 15 minutes.

A bottle of Techron at Chevron? $4? They may have a machine that cleans fuel injectors, but this shouldn't be a big ticket item.

Gear Oil and GL4 additive in the diff.. + Engine Oil and filter. I think I spent $35 on the Gear Oil for the rear and then like $6 for the additive pack. So lets just call it $80 for the diffs. + Oil + Filter. $100 Max

10 minutes with an impact gun and torque sticks. Let's call it $8 in labor.

Would have been free anyways.

Hopefully they did a LOT more.

How you ended up with a $990 dollar bill I don't know..

For the items listed above, I estimate $130 in supplies + an hour or 2 of labor. $215-$300?

__________________ Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'. N38.6 W121.4

Reply to
Barry S.