Help! 1993 300ZX -- not driven for 4+ years

What mechanical problems should I anticipate with a low mileage (approx

36,000) 1993 300ZX that hasn't been driven for about 4 years. The reason it wasn't driven is that the owner had health problems. The car was fine operating condition at the time he stopped driving it. [I know the owner and was familiar with the car so I knew what he's saying is true.

I appreciate your help!

Reply to
mk15241

I'm not an expert, but at the very least I'd put fresh gas in it. How about posting a link to some pics? (Sounds like the car's pretty clean.)

will let you upload pictures and link to them- please don't post any pictures directly to this newsgroup. :-)

Good luck with the car.

Reply to
freemont

Fuel system problems are what will be the main issue. Gasoline gets nasty after sitting that long and I'd be shocked if the car will even start without cleaning the fuel system out.

Reply to
Steve T

Thanks for the info re fuel systems below:

"Fuel system problems are what will be the main issue. Gasoline gets nasty after sitting that long and I'd be shocked if the car will even start without cleaning the fuel system out."

Does anyone have an idea of what will be a cost range to clean-out the fuel system?

Thanks! I was afraid that sitting for that length of time would require a new engine.

Reply to
mk15241

I don't like using the tank drain bolt it makes for lots of vapor and tends to spill fuel everywhere if you have to put the plug back in and empty the container 1/2 way though. A definite no no if the car is in a garage.

Locate the fuel pump relay and make up a switch (should be a sealed non sparking type switch, about 5amp) on leads that you can plug in to the relay base. The relay will show which pins are the switch contacts and will have small numbers on underside next to the pins, so you can work out which terminals to plug in to. Undo the fuel line at the filter outlet and put a long fuel tube on it to reach a Jerry can. Switch on and pump fuel in to can. Switch off when full and if needed start filling a 2nd can.

When system is drained, replace fuel filter with a new one put a few gall of fresh fuel in. Take spark plugs out, disconnect power transistor. Switch ignition on and off a few times, each time wait until fuel pump stops running (about 5 sec). This will prime system with fresh fuel, it will be mixed with whatever old fuel is in the retun line and fuel rails. Mark CAS (timing sensor) position and remove. With ignition on, use a length of dowel or a screwdriver (sharp end on injector, blunt end to fleshy part of ear - not in ear) to listen to each injector as it opens and closes while you spin CAS by hand (need about 4 hands so an assistant may be needed). If any injector doesn't "tick" then it needs stripping out, cleaning, testing or replacing. Assuming they all tick then a few ticks will purge the old fuel from the injector and into the manifold. Replace CAS to marked position and crank engine with plugs out to blow the fuel out. Replace plugs and reconnect power transistor. Start engine (if you are lucky).

Once fully warm stop and drain oil, replace with fresh.

Coolant, brake fluid, trans and diff oil could do with a change too asap.

New drive belts. Although Nissan say cam belts have a 60K mile life,

4 years standing means they should be done soon as well.
Reply to
Peter Hill

The engine is probably OK but it's not ideal for it to sit this long.

Reply to
Steve T