92 Vette:antenna won't go up or down..."stuck in the middle with you"

The antenna on my 92 vette is stuck half way up. When I turn the radio on or off, it makes a noise for several seconds, then the noise stops, but the antenna doesn't move. Any ideas on an easy fix ??? Thanks....

Reply to
oldfogy

Sure. It's the belt on the antenna that is broken. It will jiggle a little, but won't move in either direction. Personally, I'd rather castrate a wildcat than do another damned antenna. They're in the most godawful places. I think there's a contest about that.

It won't cost much for the part, but you may be stretched out of shape for a bit.

Reply to
BDragon

BDragon Thanks for the reply... glad to hear the part is too expensive...but how do I get to the antenna ??? Do I go underneather the car between the rear tire and bumper...is that how I access it ??? Any quick tips on this repair would be great apperciated. Also, if I listen to a CD I have to turn the radio on , is there anyway to stop the antenna from going up and down in that case ???? Thanks again.

Reply to
oldfogy

replacement procedures are in the shop manual

you have to take the tire off, then the inner wheel well. you can then, if you have a skinny arm, reach up and try to get it out. you'll need a picture to see where the attachment points are, unless you can get your head up there to look.

it's easier on a lift.

why is it that it appears that there are a lot of parts that they build the car around?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

The cussedness of inanimate objects.

Reply to
PJ

Charles Spitzer...

Thanks for the reply. I'll see if I can get to that antenna motor this week-end. I don't have a lift available, so I'll try just jacking the car up and see what happens. Also, do you know ..is there a way to keep the antenna from going up and down when I just use just the CD player in the radio. I just got the car and I'm still becoming familiar with it. Last question, when I'm driving at 75mph and floor the gas pedal it feels as if the clutch was slipping (my car is automatic tranny) if I manually shift it ...it feels normal. Is the overdrive part of the transmission ?? The car has 100,000 miles on it, and the tranny has been serviced recently (fluid was not burnt) any thoughts or recommendations ???? Thanks again.

Reply to
oldfogy

that antenna

====== snip ==== At 75 you should be seeing about 2100 - 2400 on the tach in fourth gear (the 'overdrive' ratio) with the torque convertor clutch (TCC) locked up. Flooring the gas pedal should produce a smooth but 'positive' downshift to third (or second with some rear gear ratios) and the tach should smartly rise to >3000rpm. Depending on final ratio in your individual car, you might see a downshift to second. The car should accelerate upward from there with smooth upshift(s) as the tach exceeds

4K. If there's surge or slip it's time to see a good auto-tranny guy who works on Corvette automatic boxes. The Corvette version of the transmission has a couple of features (beefed up clutch plates and an accumulator for '89 and subsequent C4s) that aren't in the truck and Camaro/Firebird THMs). There is some designed-in slippage during shifts. The transmission measures this slip -- when it becomes excessive, servo pressures are automatically increased to correct it. This yields "hard shifts" and the transmission should be looked at by someone who knows Corvettes. Rebuilt swapouts, at chain tranny shops, aren't wise since you'll probably get a transmission without the Corvette goodies.

Overdrive is a way of saying that fourth gear is not direct drive (a 1:1 ratio, as it was in earlier TurboHydramatic transmissions.) The "OD" fourth gear is less than 1:1 ratio, check the owner's manual--it will probably show something like 0.78:1 etc.

As Charlie suggests, spend a few bucks on a shop manual. It has an excellent troubleshooting chart on the auto-tranny with good descriptions of normal operation, simple driving tests, and what to look for in the way of typical problems.

Welcome to the world of C4s. These are reliable, fun-to-drive cars with good creature comforts and plenty of gadgetry. Don't accept snobbishness from C3 owners or "efete" behaviors from some C5 and C6 guys/gals--we all wave. C2 owners are allowed to get snobby with anyone! (;-) ... PJ

Reply to
PJ

I don't know if its an option, but is it possible to do away with the retracting antenna and installing a fixed 14" with rubber coating antenna on it instead ?

Reply to
E_Tar

Same routine about every 3 to 4 years with the my C4. I wound up buying a Japanese knock-off and a "mast repair kit" for the Chevy antenna. If the antenna is broke, on the next tire rotation I install the Japanese antenna (I believe Harata was the brand.) It's plug compatible and works OK but isn't cosmetically correct on the exterior. Before the next tire rotation, I replace the mast kit in the Chevy antenna then install it next time I pull the tires. Japanese antenna was about $25 bucks. Mast kits are about $ 15 and a new GM antenna was over $ 65 several years ago.

Another option: Most of our local stations were bought out by Clear Channel and all are either talk-radio or music aimed at the teen-age crowd. I installed XM in the C4 and don't visit AM/FM much anymore. Will probably do the same with the C5 after the holidays--have to order an antenna.

HTH..

Reply to
PJ