Awwwww crap

Well...this weekend I replaced my shifter bushing and rear coupler inserts with urethane. After a little bit of hell trying to get the shift plate adjusted correctly, (see my previous post) my tranny...I guess...is now making a loud whine in first and second gears! Also, now there is a rattle in the shifter...well more like a buzz, ONLY in fourth gear ONLY with a load on the engine ONLY between the speeds of

45 and 55! I have no idea what's going on here. Could I have yanked the input shaft on the tranny wierd somehow while working back there, and screwed something up? Are the new urethane couplers transmitting an array of noise that's always been there, but I haven't heard untill now?(my theory...) What exactly is a 30 year old tranny supposed to sound like with new couplers anyway? Any replies will be appreciated. I'm now a little worried about my tranny. I had NONE of these whining noises in first and second BEFORE I replaced the bushing and inserts. (or they were there and I didn't hear them?) Thanks for reading... ~Anthony
Reply to
Anthony

maybe the shift rod isnt adjusted right and it is putting tension on the input shaft and causing it to make the noise? I think this is a good theory, as I have the same problem, but I only replace the shift rod, shift rod bushing, shift plate and shifter...

Reply to
VWGirl

Hi.The Shift rod adjustment tensioning the input shaft would be my guess too.Readjust.Check shifter especially if theres speed shifter of any sort.The short throw comes from raiseing the fulcrum point.The ball at the bottom moves further and moves all the shift linkage more,so any misalignment is exageratted.Steve

Reply to
Ilambert

hmmmmmmmm...I've readjusted the shifter plate numerous times, and the whine persists. Maybe I just can't get it right. Would a sensible test be to put it in first gear, remove the shifter and drive (only in first...I can't shift obviously) and see if it whines then? Could the new shifter bushing up front be pushing the rod up or sideways somehow and putting the extra tension on the input shaft? Any more suggestions? Thanks for the help. ~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Have you tried grease as I suggested in your previous thread?

Dave

Reply to
Dave Brower

I'm with Dave here....use some heavy grease...i also think those "sounds" were there before, but then new, tighter bushings are just transmitting it more than the worn out "soft" ones...

------------------- Chris Perdue

*All opinions are those of the author of this post* "Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug"
reply take your PANTS off
Reply to
Chris Perdue