Winter fuel additives

Hello guys,

I have a few questions regarding a 05 Chevy Duramax. Any insight would be appreciated so I start in the right direction with the new truck.

I just purchased my first diesel and am interested in the additional (if any) care I need to perform versus the old gasser I once owned. What do I do about this problem of water in the fuel I hear about? How does an owner deal with that?

The truck came with a winter front grill cover. Anyone have experience with this? The manual indicates use it in very cold temps, without indicating a specific temperature. Do I need to worry about the fuel in the fuel lines gelling if I use a product like Standayne or Howe's? I'm lead to believe fuel in the fuel lines will gel while I'm cruising at 65 mph due to wind chill. Can that be true?

Regarding additives / lubricants.through some internet research I decided on using Standayne Performance Formula. I saw on a advertisement for Howe's Diesel Treat on the SPEED channel - want to know what the difference between Stanadyne's Performance Formula and Howe's Diesel Treat. Prefer one over the other?

My winters are spent in northern New Jersey, other than a few occasional trips to upstate New York and Connecticut where it is colder / more snowfall.

Regards, Dom

Reply to
Dom

Windchill does not work that way. GOOGLE windchill and educate yourself.

-- Best Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Dont know a thing about Standayne, never heard of it before now, Howes on the other hand is an industry standard in the trucking business. The only two brands you will see at a truckstop are Howes, and PowerService products. Of the two, Howes has always taken good care of me, it also happens to be the number one brand in the country.

And NASA, and I, disagree with you Gordie, from thier web page located at

warm object, like a human being, will lose heat when it is exposed tocold air. The greater the wind speed, the faster the object will lose heat.The difference between people and inanimate objects is that we feel or sensethe heat loss. A temperature we feel is called a sensible temperature. Maybeyou've noticed that some days feel colder than others when there is a strongwind blowing, even if the temperatures are the same! This phenomenon isknown as wind chill. To estimate the heat loss based on temperature and windspeeds, we use the Wind Chill Index. Wind chill is referred to as anequivalent or sensible temperature, since it is not an actual temperature. The key will be how exposed the fuel lines are, and how cold it is. It statrts getting below 10 degrees its cold enough to gell..

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

well nasa is wrong in this instance... wind chill can only affect things that lose moisture, i.e. warm blooded creatures or evaporative cooling systems.

or

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase