Wiring for a trailer

My truck:

1997 Silverado 1500

My problem: I have an existing 4 pin type connection for a reese trailer right now. I need to make it a 6 pin for a trailer with brakes. What is the suggested way to get wires to and from the the cab?

I know there is a wire I need for my Voyager brake unit to be connected to the stop light. Is there a best way to do this?

There are also 2 wires that need to go to the battery (ground and power w/20 amp circuit). Any best way to do this?

Also I need to run the brake wire to the connector in the back of the truck and then wire up a 6 pin connection (the kind with a groove). Anybody else done this before on this model with an insight on how to do it the right way (hopefully without drilling).

Fred

Reply to
Fred

k this is gonna be a little long, but the good news is that 1/2 your job should be done already.... most c/k trucks in 97........ had a red and blue wire already going from under the master cylinder(taped up) going along the frame and ended at the left rear of the frame... you may have to cut some tape, but you should find it there.... now the blue wire is for the trailer brakes...the red is battery power to the trailer... simply wire up the trailer connector with those 2 wires, plus the other 4 you already have back there..You should upgrade the ground wire though... now up to the front of the truck.... pull off the fuse block cover under the hood... there are 2 30 maxi fuses all by themselves.. I don't remember what they are labeled, but the 2 studs(that are probably empty) next to the fuses are fed battery power by those fuses.. simply pull each fuse and verify which one powers which.... attach the red wire to one of them to power the trailer with battery power... the other one you will have to attach a wire going into the dash to power the trailer brake unit.Fish the blue wire from the back into the dash and that goes to the output of the triler brake unit... grab the white wire off the brake switch for brake input... find a good ground, and you are all done...some people like circuit breakers instead of the 30 amp fuse.. simply add some terminals to a circuit breaker and plug it into the fuse block....as for making the holes in the firewall... there isnt a whole lot to do... if there is a grommet handy(there is one on the passenger side thats easy to get to) sharpen a brake line and carefully push it through the grommet... then push the wires through the brake line, pull out the line and voila, you ran the wires through the grommet without even breaking as sweat.....I don't think there is a lot of grommets that are usable on the drivers side so I usually drill a 3/4 hole and use some grommets I piked up at the local auto store....there should even be a dimple or 2 available as guides next to the brake booster...if you have cruise there should be a grommet that you can use....

Hope that helped ya get started....... Bobo

"Fred" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com...

Reply to
Bobo

Instructions for finding the brake light wire for 1997 GM Full Size Trucks:

  1. Locate the convenience center at the firewall just under the emergency brake pedal.
  2. Remove 6-8" of tape covering main loom of 40+ wires.
  3. You will find 5 WHITE Wires 4 light gauge wires (16 GA.) 1 heavy gauge wire (14 GA.) Multiple wires wrapped with YELLOW tape. (DO NOT DISTURB, AIR BAG SENSOR WIRES)
  4. Probe the 4 light gauge wires with a test light
  5. The wire that is cold until brake pedal is depressed and does not flash with hazard flashers activated is the correct wire. Splice that wire into the brake control's RED (stoplight) wire.
  6. Rewrap remaining wires.

The wiring for the 6 pin connector is:

Dick