WANTED: Diesel Chevette!

Hello group...

Laugh if you want, but I miss driving a Diesel and my '84 Sierra is going to need some work before it may return to mainstream use on the road. From what I've read about them, this seems like the kind of car I'd want to find as a "replacement".

If you have one of these cars, please mail newsgroups1 walshcomptech.com, especially if you're within 50 miles of Bloomington, IL. I'm open to reasonable offers, and the only thing I ask is that the car would be able to run and drive well enough for me to take it home.

A car equipped with an automatic transmission would be preferred, but is not required. Hopefully someone out there has one!

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Only a Chevette will do? Not to be blasphemous, but there are a few Ford options for you too. Lincoln offered a BMW diesel powered Mark VII in the mid 80's, a diesel powered Ranger in the 80's, and a diesel powered Escort about the same time. Also, everyone I know who had one swears by the old VW rabbits with diesels. They even made a rabbit based truck. All these things are a bit hard to find, so broadening your options is an idea if you're not overly brand conscious.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

Hi!

No offense taken. I've got plenty of Ford vehicles in the herd...but I never had heard of any of the Ford [compact] Diesels except for the Escort. If I were to find one of those, I'm sure it would be acceptable, but it seems that perhaps the Chevette may have been the most common...and certainly the one that at least *some* information exists on the WWW about...

As for a Volkswagen, I have nothing against them, they just don't seem to be the car for me.

William The Guesser -- still looking for that Diesel Chevette!

Reply to
William R. Walsh

================================= LOLOLOLOLOLOL, you said it was OK ;) A diesel and a Chevette all in one? You are a crazy person!!!! :)

Reply to
Scott

Just an FYI...to all you non-believers! lol

M.MacFarlane

Just went into GOOGLE and typed in Chevette diesel forsale and found a few, the chevette was a great little american car, good luck.

Reply to
pedro

If you're willing to wait a little while, Ford is supposed to introduce a diesel Focus brand new next year.

CJ

Reply to
Christopher Brown

My first car was a 1979 Olds Cutlass Diesel. I hated the motor. WHY did GM modify a gasoline engine to run diesel...WHY?????

Reply to
Eightupman

Hi!

You betcha...but isn't everyone a little crazy now and then?

Seriously, a few looks at

and I was hooked onthe idea. Somewhere in all that somebody hauled a 600 pound trailer thingwith theirs.

That, and I'm not above 40+ MPG...provided I can find one of those cars, I might even be willing to learn to enjoy using a manual transmission...it seems that these cars are rare enough that you can't really be picky...

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

Ford makes a diesel Focus now for the European market. It's the same engine VW sells in their Jettas and Golfs (golves???) here in the US. Great engine, super smooth and plenty of power. Reliable, too.

Reply to
Tom Zweifel