1984 Chrysler LeBaron electrical problems

i have a 1984 LeBaron and when i accellerate to a certain speed or rpm, the engine cuts out. i found out that the sensors were malfunctioning and was told to unhook my battery to reset the computer. i did and it works fine but i dont know if i should get a new O2 sensor or just ride it out. will it give me more problems down the road? please give me some advice Em

Reply to
lebgirl

Your car is 20 years old. Personally I wouldn't put a penny into it. Unless you hope to keep it for antique value some day, drive it as long as it runs and then wave goodbye.

At that age there's an endless list of things could croak at any time, starting with the front suspension towers.

Reply to
Dave Gower

So what? My truck is 15 years old and runs perfectly. My cars are 12, 33 and 42 years old. Age alone does not determine whether it's worth repairing.

How come? If it's in good condition, suits the owner's needs and simply needs a repair, it's foolish not to repair it.

Horseshit.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

The sensors generally don't "malfunction" as such. By erasing the computer's memory, you've reset it as you were told. However, whatever underlying problem first caused the cutting out is still there and so it will likely occur again, and there's every likelihood it was not, in fact, caused by a sensor. The last car like yours I saw with your symptoms had nothing wrong with it other than needing new spark plugs, plug cables, cap and rotor -- basic tuneup stuff.

If the car is in otherwise good condition and you like it, there's no reason not to have it diagnosed and repaired by a competent tech.

Regarding your O2 sensor question: Guessing which parts might need to be replaced is an expensive way to fix a car and usually doesn't succeed. That said, the early-style O2 sensor on this '84 is definitely a maintenance item which should be replaced approximately every 50,000 miles. If it has been at least that long since yours was replaced, doing so now will increase your fuel economy. Do not use a Bosch brand sensor.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Is it the V8 model?

Reply to
Black Bomb

The original poster stated the car is a 1984 LeBaron. There were no

1984 Lebarons built with V8 engines; available engines were all 4-cylinder items.
Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

"Daniel J. Stern" wrote

Then how come there's so few left on the road, Mr. expert?

Reply to
Dave Gower

Wear, not age per se. If it were age per se, my '62 and '71 vehicles would've been long since melted down, and my '89 would be about ready for the junk heap. Since that's not the case for any of these three vehicles, your theory of age-related unroadworthiness fails the reality test.

-Stern

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

thanks guys but i like my car and other than the O2 sensor and an idling screw, it runs great, its an old car and im not a machanic and i was just looking for some advice on what i should do not to be criticized on how old my damn car is. thanks anyways

Reply to
lebgirl

also thank you for the back up stern

Reply to