1991 Grand Voyager AWD

Just picked up this minivan.. it's in great shape and and has less than 120k on it. a few questions..

91 grand voyager, AWD, 3.3v6, 4sp auto

there is a groan when turning sharply at low speeds... normal?

are there any common problems with this van?

thanks, Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

Yes, the transmission. Check under your hood and look for the transmission computer. If it is finned, the TCM has been updated, and most likely the transmission might have been rebuilt once.

If it's the original non-finned computer, the trans will not last much longer.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I went out and looked... it's finned on the left side.. so far so good.

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase

You definitely do not have the original tcm in there, this van has almost certainly had the transmission rebuilt. And that rebuild would have happened in 1993 or even later. That is a good thing particularly if the rebuild happened much later on, such as in the late

90's. Even as late as year 2000 I believe they were still adjusting some of the replacement parts in the trans to increase reliability. The big change happened in 1994, the front and rear planetaries were redesigned to make them stronger, and any transmission rebuilder that knew what they were doing would have used the newer parts.

Look on the side or top of the tcm for a sticker that says "Chrysler Corporation, authorized software update" if one is there the tcm has been flashed. If one is not there then use a mirror to look for the number on the label on the bottom. It should have "4796122" on it, probably with an "R" in the front. If it is there then your fine, if not then there's a possibility it's got older firmware (but newer than what shipped from the factory) but the only way to verify is with a scantool. If the tcm was replaced after 1995 with a new or refurb one, then your also most likely current.

One other thing: AWD does not equal "4 wheel drive" and people who think differently and go offroading or some similar harsh duty, find this out very fast when their transmission breaks. These vans were designed first and foremost to spend their lives ferrying soccer moms around on paved roads. Change the transmission fluid in it every 30-40k miles with ATF +3 and it will last a long time.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

For 4wd stuff I've got my 3/4 ton chevy.. the van is my wife's. I'll have to take my Snap-On MT2500 out and plug it in.. I think I've got a Chrysler module that's good to '93..

-Bret

Reply to
Bret Chase