NEW 2005 Sebring console shift indicators - lights? - key codes

So I got my 05 touring last week the one thing I noticed is while the dash instrument display has what gear I'm in displayed, the small round markers on the console next to the shift lever do NOT light up.

is this normal or do I add this to the list on my first service visit., so far it's the fist thing on the list.

key codes:

I did not receive the 4 digit pin code for keys noted anywhere on the documents, as per the owners manual page 11 "replacement keys" "at time of purchase original owner is provided with a 4 digit PIN number" I find a packet in my glove compartment that most likely held the keys , it has 3 rows on it first starts with a M the rest are digits , such as :

M123

2345

4567

do I harass the dealer or does someone here know

the code is only used if you don't have 2 keys already learned by the computer

thanks for any reply

Reply to
Mr.X

Take that off your list, if it shows on the dash it wont on the console

The 4 digit key code does you no good, if you need to get a key cut/replaced it has to be done at the dealer and the dealer has to program the key, the dealer will get the skim code number from the vin# of your vehicle thru Chryslers data center. If you want the code ask them.

LOL The first number is the key code number (the way it is cut) the second one is either the valet key cut or "the skim code key number you say you dont have" or the 3rd number is the skim code key. Now that you posted your secret key code number for all to see on here, can we get your SS# too?

By all means, harass them with this information you just posted

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech (dealer)

Reply to
maxpower

Thanks for the info.

now what does "skim" stand for ?

and this is the first I've heard of "valet" keys, like that would not open the trunk and center console?

fyi my ss# is 234-56-7890

thaks again

Reply to
Mr.X

OK no lights at all . all buttons are dark and not lighted. no lamps in there at all. ok got it

Reply to
Mr.X

Sentry Key immobilizer system

Not sure about the one code being a valet key, I do know that one is for the SKIM and the M# is the code to acually cut it

Reply to
maxpower

Oh come on. The chipped keys do only ONE thing - prevent an amateur car thief from running up and smashing the window and pounding a chisel into the ignition keyhole and starting the car and driving it off. They are useless against a professional who is going to run up in his tow truck and drive off with the car, then part it out. And while we might have some amateur car thieves reading this NG, the OP didn't post his address for them to find his car.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Which we'll call thief type 1.

Which we'll call thief type 2.

Now you tell me which type of thief is more likely to approach a typical Chrysler vehicle and burgle it?

If I had to choose between Sentry Key or an effective way to prevent a type-2 theft, hands down I'd choose Sentry Key.

Now if I had a car worth $100k I'd expect to have both.

Reply to
MoPar Man

Chill out. that was just a little humor, so was asking for his SS#

The average vehicle stolen is by amaters, they break in , punch out the lock and it starts and stalls, minimal damage and low cost to the insurance company

Instaead of gettting a stripped down vehicle to repair, we get the vehicle back that needs an ignition switch or maybe a column

Reply to
maxpower

Exactly!!

Reply to
maxpower

Glenn, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the owners manual have the procedure for programming the third and forth key into the car? (Ignition on/off etc.) And can't any key smith (not just the dealer) cut the blank? And the blanks sold on eBay work just fine?

My neighbor bought a blank off eBay and had the dealer cut it (as it was convenient). To save money, he programmed it into the car a couple of weekends ago. Did he do something wrong? Was the dealer supposed to do something else he didn't know about (seems to work OK)?

It was my understanding that an owner can program up to four keys (*if* he has both originals) and key fobs himself. Am I mistaken?

Reply to
Dennis

That can only be done if it is a domestic vehicle or has a U.S country code designator. You would have to have at least two valid sentry keys to do it

Any lock smith can cut the key, Some are able to program them if they have the correct equipment (however, I tried to get a hardware store to cut one for me and I was going to program it, they said they couldnt because it would damage there computerized key cutter) I dont know if that was a blow off or if it was true, I never got it cut.

Cant answer that.

If he did something wrong the vehicle would not have started.

Im not sure how many keys you get when you buy a vehicle now days, I think the Pacifica,Crossfire and Caravan issues one, dont quote me on that cause im not sure.

Reply to
maxpower

As the OP :

1: chill is right , those codes I gave out were in sequence 2345 .. not the real ones ..

2 ) I got 2 keys with the sebring and I originally wrote

notice ""don't""

as per the owners manual if you have 2 the computer has already learned you can add 6 more that are cut only, the digital ID of the 6 can be learned with out any PIN or interface.

I had 2 non- Sentry keys cut right away to carry in the wallet and one for the wife to open the door if I lock the keys in.. $ 3 Per the Locksmith with the equipment to add a key (if I only had one ) they no longer make the plastic keys of OLD to carry in the wallet.

he wanted $75 to add a key using the PIN and 1 key to copy from

or , $30 to provide and cut a Senty key which I will get to make sure I always have access to 2 learned keys

again thanks for all the info

Reply to
Mr.X

You totally missed the point. I'm not arguing the above. I'm saying that type 1 thief isn't on this news group and even if he was he's too stupid to find out where the OP's Chrysler is let alone take the key codes posted and make a key then go steal the OP's car.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Thats why I said just a little humor. I saw the numbers in sequence

Reply to
damnnickname

Reply to
tim bur

The way these buttons are made and mounted in the console it led me to believe they should light up. Now for a new driver of a console shift , being used to a column mounted shift one DOES look down at first to see the gear , All console gear shifts I know of have the gear marked on the console. these days all seem to also have the instrument panel display.

not so much as the selected gear will light in the console buttons , just that the buttons should all light

Reply to
Mr.X

So I get a Subaru Forester as a loaner to for 1st scheuled service at

3 months and guess what the console indicator lights up and well as the instrument panel has the selected gear indicated.

after 4 months old and 950 miles use , went in for the dealer service since the 6 month 6k service schedule has conditions impossible for any one to meet.

Reply to
Mr.X

Interesting.

I have a 04 Sebring with the "auto-stick". The shift indicators *do* light up, although it's still difficult to tell what gear the shifter is in. You need to look at the dash display for that.

The wife has a 03 Stratus that doesn't have "auto-stick". Thise indicators do *NOT* light up.

Perhaps the indicator lights have something to do with the tranny option?

Reply to
James C. Reeves

It was one of the things I complained about as well. I had a 99 Stratus and the console indicator lit up as well as the power window buttons. In my 2003 Sebring the console does not light up nor do the power window and locks buttons. There was also NO light in the glove compartment.

It was one of those silly things I did not notice when test driving the car. I have never seen a car with a glovebox light before ! Surely the cost of these light would not have made the car prohibitively expenve. It gave me the impression of the manufacturer being cheap and petty.

Reply to
Ted R