1993 Town & Country , Bendix-10 ABS Accumulator - Advice please

Greetings.

I've got a 1993 Town & Country, 3.3L V6 that has 160,000 miles. It's got the Bendix-10 ABS system that's been acting up lately. Sometimes the ABS light comes on a rapid application of the brake. The van seems to drive fine and the ABS light comes on rarely. I need help separating the lies the dealer tells me from truth.

So I took the car to the dealer to check out the ABS. Four years ago at 136,000 miles I had a new ABS pump and motor replaced under warranty. I got the impression that recall # 685 covered the ABS for the life of the vehicle, at least that's what they told me 4 years ago. Something about a federal mandated safety recall. Now the same dealer tends to forget that statement and doesn't know much about the Bendix lifetime warranty.

So the dealer in the Atlanta area tells me that they cannot check the pump and motor because the accumulator is weak. They didn't give me a reading of pump pressure. The dealer says that they cannot proceed to diagnose the pump until I pay $442 for a new accumulator. So, before I know if any parts are covered under warranty I have to pay them $442 extortion money. They even wanted to charge me $85 diagnosis charge if I didn't have any repairs done there.

Calling another 5-star Chrysler dealer gave even worse results. They were not aware at all of a Bendix-10 problem.

So, does anyone know the truth about the Bendix-10? Is the accumulator covered under warranty? Does anyone know when / if the warranty expires? Any advice on the next steps? Please post replies if you have inportant information.

Regards -- Gary -- Atlanta

Reply to
gary_jabo

They are telling you the truth!! The pump, the pistons in side the assembly or the hydraulic assembly is covered under the recall. 3 things only!!! The accumlator is not covered. If the accumultor is bad, each time you press on the brake pedal the ABS RED LITE will turn on because the accumulator does not hold pressure. So the pump kicks on to try to replenish the it. The pump turns on when the pressure drops to 1600psi and turns off at

2100psi. if you dont replace the accumulator now it will burn the pump up and then you will be buying a pump. One more thing you may want to replace is and not covered under the recall is the dual funtion pressure switch, it will wear out over time and could cause the pump to not turn on. The return filter that supplies the pump fluid is not part of the warranty either and this should be replaced as well. The dealer has all right to charge you for check out. I dont think the dealer forget the statement, i think you just dont understand the recall. I would replace the accumulator now if I were you.

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
damnnickname

This is one of the downsides of owning an older vehicle. Eventually, the parts become very expensive. One only has to have two or three repairs like this, and the value of the vehicle is exceeded in repairing it.

I just went through a simliar situation with my 1990 Dodge Spirit.

Are there any less-expensive aftermarket replacment parts for ABS systems, that are safe to use?

-KM

Reply to
kmatheson

I cant answer that, we don't use after market parts.

Reply to
maxpower

Well certainly, you just hie thee down to the local wrecker and get yourself a complete NON-ABS master cylinder, booster, brake lines, etc.

Plenty of those vehicles were made without ABS. It isn't necessary for the ABS system to be present on the vehicle at all.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt