1998 Stratus vibration when accelerating

I have a 1998 Dodge Stratus with a 2.4L engine. A couple of weeks ago, I was stuck in traffic. All the sudden it jerked, and the engine stalled. It would not re-start, until I waited for a couple of minutes.

It seems to run fine since that event. No codes were set, but there is noticeable vibration upon acceleration, that was not there before. I had all the engine mounts replaced since one was broken, and hoped that would solved the problem. It didn't.

I also had the entire exhaust system checked, hoping there was a broken hanger, or leak. Neither of these were an issue either.

When the engine is idling, it is smooth, and there is no vibration.

Any suggestions? It occurs while sitting, so I am guessing that it doesn't have anything to do with the drive train, or suspension.

Thanks,

Kirk M

Reply to
greybuck

If a FWD check for a failing CV joint. If RWD check for a failing universal joint.

Reply to
NotMe

stuck in traffic. All the sudden it jerked, and the engine stalled. It would not re-start, until I waited for a couple of minutes.

noticeable vibration upon acceleration, that was not there before. I had all the engine mounts replaced since one was broken, and hoped that would solved the problem. It didn't.

or leak. Neither of these were an issue either.

anything to do with the drive train, or suspension.

I found this....

The 2.4 liter Mopar engine is similar to the 2.0-liter Neon engine in design and construction, but has a longer stroke, a taller block, a dual overhead camshaft cylinder head and dual counter-rotating balance shafts that reduce engine vibration

........... which says that engine has balance shafts. I wonder if the noise you heard was some part of those shafts breaking and that's why you now have the vibration.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

lets find out how many miles are on it first.....

Reply to
Rob

=20

It has 111,000 miles on it. That was one of my fears. What would happen if = the chain the runs the two balance shafts from the crankshaft were to break= . The engine runs smooth at idle. What is involved in inspecting the chain?= How much has to be removed to get to the chain and sprockets?

Reply to
greybuck

I looked on Alldata, and they show that the balance shafts are located above the oil pan. They only mention removing the oil pan to access the plate where they are hidden. Does anyone know if the timing belt has to be removed?

It looks to me that the gear on the crankshaft the drives the balance shafts, sits behind the timing belt pulley, meaning that the timing belt must be removed too.

Thanks,

KM

Reply to
greybuck

the oil pan. They only mention removing the oil pan to access the plate where they are hidden. Does anyone know if the timing belt has to be removed?

sits behind the timing belt pulley, meaning that the timing belt must be removed too.

It's possible that if one of the balance shafts broke it just means that the front half is still rotating while the back half no longer is. Other then the vibration it might not really cause any further problems. I don't think either of the half's can go anywhere. If the engine is otherwise running the same then it seems unlikely any of the gears or the belt is broken or messed up. The balance shafts are there to make the engine "seem" smoother, I doubt they affect longevity one way or the other.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

-------------------------------snip----------------------

I am really begining to doubt that it has anything to do with the engine. It is like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what I remember.

Can a bad catalytic converter cause this? No check engine light has come on.

KM

Reply to
greybuck

like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what I remember.

You are calling it a vibration but describing a noise. Which is it?

Reply to
bllsht

if your catalytic convertor gets plugged you will notice an extreme loss of power....

Reply to
Rob

like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what I remember.

I suppose it's possible a baffle in the muffler broke loose and is now vibrating.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

. It is like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brot= her did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what = I remember.=20

I finally gave up, and took it to the dealer. It looks like the timing belt= tensioner that was replaced 20,000 miles/3.5 years ago went bad, and it wa= s flopping back and forth, trying to keep the belt tight, and causing the v= ibration in the process. Now, I get to deal with the cost of having this do= ne, when the parts should have at least lasted as long as the originals.

KM

Reply to
greybuck

is like someone has installed a glass pack muffler on the car. My brother did this on two of his cars, and the vibration is consistent with what I remember.

tensioner that was replaced 20,000 miles/3.5 years ago went bad, and it was flopping back and forth, trying to keep the belt tight, and causing the vibration in the process. Now, I get to deal with the cost of having this done, when the parts should have at least lasted as long as the originals.

That's a bummer.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher