2000 Chrysler 300M not safe

I drive in fear everyday!! My car rims have caused my tires to continually go flat. I have had numerous near accidents because of this saftey problem! I must put air in my front tires at least 2x a week and even then prayer it will hold me on major highways!! I have had this problem for the entire time I have owned this car. I have a long documented history with Chrysler and Goodyear tires. Chrysler does not care and will not help me!! They are the worst company I have ever had to deal with!! I have bought several new and used cars and have never had a saftey issue before, never had a company that didn't care about their customers. This was the most expensive car I have ever bought and the worst car I have ever drove. I drive in fear everyday!!

Reply to
chryslerproblem

David

You could change your rims and tires. Certainly it is worth the cost.

Reply to
Steve

Then you're an idiot. Intelligent car owners FIX problems, they don't risk their lives and others by living in fear of problems.

Reply to
Steve

So... I know I'm going to regret feeding a troll here, but I've got to ask: how, exactly, are your rims causing your tires to go flat?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I had trouble keeping the pressure up in a few of my Cruiser's alloy rims and tires. The bead of the rim was cleaned and it still lost air at the rim/bead area. A little anti-leak applied with the pressure applicator solved that problem.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

If this was really the problem, why would you be so stupid to continue to drive defective wheels? It only take a few hundred dollars to get new wheels and tires. There is a lot more to this story you are not telling.

---------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

On June 4, 2003 I posted the following in this news group about my

2000 300M:

: Late last fall I put my 17" chromed rims on my 300M in storage : (in the basement) and bought some plain 16" steel rims for : snow tires. 3 out of 4 of the chrome rims were leaking at : the time, 1 badly. : : In April I got the Eagle's off the chrome rims in preparation : for some new rubber and was totally shocked at the condition : of some of the rims. Wholly flaky chrome and white-rusting : craters batman! I spent the better part of a weekend using : various power tools and abrasives getting the sealing-surface : of those rims back into shape. The goodyear dealer that took : the Eagles off was impressed (when I brought them back for : mounting the new tires).

I had the Goodyear dealer put Dunlop Sport 5000 on those rims at the time (June/03). He applied some sort of sealant around the bead (which I assume is standard practice at tire shops).

I have had ZERO leaks on those rims since then. I don't drive them in the winter (past 2 winters). I'm about to bring them out of the basement and re-inflate them for the summer (I let the air out of them while in storage).

But yes, I think it's just a matter of time when those big aluminum wheels start corroding and develop bad leaks - unless maybe they are treated properly prior to tire mounting (which probably isin't done at the factory). Maybe it doesn't happen in southern climates?

Reply to
MoPar Man

Why? Why should aluminum rims leak worse than steel? In ordinary use, aluminum develops a thin coat of oxidation... and stops. Steel jsut rusts and rusts.

So what's special (in a bad way) about those rims?

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

I dunno but that explanation makes sense. A friend of mine has a Concorde with LHS alloys on it and one of the rear tires regularly goes low. I will suggest to him that he get that tire dismounted and check out the rim surface (that tire hasn't been replaced since he bought the car.)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

If you do a search on the 300M Club forums, you will find that this is in fact a not-uncommon problem with certain of the factory chrome-aluminum wheels (The name Razorstar seems to come to mind). Seems the chrome cladding is the problem

Here's one to get you started.

Bill Putney

Actually those Goodyear tires suck and the best thing you can do is replace them with Michelin Energy MX4 plus which became standard equipment in later years. I am surprised your dealer hasn't been more helpful. Many dealers brought the cars to Goodyear to replace the tires. Mine did. But the new set sucked too. I drove the first set 10k miles and the second set 10k miles and then replaced them with my money for the Michelins. Never had a leak problem. Just bad vibrations, noisy and they become hard as rocks.

Reply to
Art

Of all the complaints we get of tires loosing air and not being able to find a problem. I would say more then 3/4 or better are the alluminum rims

Reply to
maxpower

No, it doesn't happen in southern climates. I've had 20+ year old aluminum rims that are fine.

Also, I don't think it should happen in ANY climate if a good bead sealing compound is used from the time the wheels are new. The sealer not only is there to keep air in, it keeps salt/water OUT of the bead sealing area on the rim.

Reply to
Steve

Aluminum does seem to form much deeper corrosion "pits" than steel, especially when exposed to salt water. But always coating the bead of new tires with bead sealer should keep the salt out of that critical area.

Reply to
Steve

What is this? Do they apply this in the factor, or is this aftermarket?

Steve

Reply to
Steve