2000 Concorde steering rack

Well, the steering rack has pretty much locked up so it's time to change it out.We have the 2.7 engine, with standard P/S, 129k miles. Anyone out there with experience in doing this have any helpful (time saving, knuckle saving) hints? Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
oldcarnut

I have not done one my self, but have picked up the following from my readings.

Use Liquid Wrench or equivalent on the hose connections before trying to disconnect them.

Use a only a *line wrench* on the connections to prevent damage to the fittings.

It's probably a good idea to flush the system with new fluid to keep deposits from going into the new rack. This can be done after disconnecting the input line to the rack, and putting it into a bucket.

The toe-in will probably need adjustment after installation of the new rack. There is probably a procedure somewhere to get it close enough so that the car can be driven to an alignment shop.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50