2000 GC Trans Question

HI, I just finished the Spring Break drive to Florida and back (4900kilometres) and had a small issue with the van not showing in PARK when shifted to PARK. The square which normally illuminates around the P was dark and when the key was re-inserted and turned to start it showed Reverse and would not start (moving the lever to N allowed us to restart), this only happened when the van was hot from driving the interstate and only in the southern states. If I wiggled the shift lever when it was warm not hot then it showed in PARK, wiggling the shifter when hot did nothing. Is there a switch on the steering column or on the trans that would cause the computer to think it was in R instead of P. Now that we are back in Canada it showes P without any problem (mind you it is -3 right now not the balmy mid 20's). This is something I would like to fix before summer and if some one can help it is appreciated. Just to be very clear this only happened when the van was hot from the long drive, while driving through Florida it did not occur.

2000 GC 3.8L 4spd Auto Dual Zone Air, Towing Group (was not pulling a trailer)

TIA

Reply to
Mike Bowden

There is what's called the "range sensor" on the transmission. That is an electical contact assembly that, via the open/closed states of it 4 or 5 switches, tells the computer what position it thinks the gear selector is in (of course if it is telling the computer that it is in Reverse, the computer will display 'R' and not allow you to start it - so the computer is properly doing its job).

Either the linkage cable between the gear selector and the range sensor is having problems (is it binding up at all? IOW - does the gear selector move normally - i.e., not tight or abnormally stiff?) or the range sensor is crapping out on you, in which case it would need replacing. Probably bad range sensor.

Bill Putney

Thanks for your quick reply, the gear selector moves fine, not abnormally stiff or binding, except for this issue when hot I wouldn't have known this part may be failing. Do you know if this sensor is easily accessible to replace? I will price one out at the local dealer.

Reply to
Mike Bowden

You're welcome. The transmission pan and valve body must be removed to access and replace the range sensor

Bill Putney

That's to bad, I was hoping it was as simple as opening the hood and being a

5 min fix, supposed to have good weather later this week. Thanks again
Reply to
Mike Bowden

Could be worse - at least you don't have to pull the tranny. :)

Bill Putney