2001 LHS Airbags actuated

I was stopped. A red light runner got my 2001 LHS. Right front side swipe. Grill to right fender.

Both airbags popped and of course will be replaced.

Body shop says steering column must also be replaced. Is this standard? Will it be the whole column assembly including the steering wheel, stalk and controls, housing and all?

Thanks for any comment or input.

Reply to
Bob AZ

The steering column is replaced as an assembly, meaning housing, shafts, bearings, pre-assembled unit. Stuff that is obviously attached peripherals (multifunction switch, top and bottom cover, steering wheel, etc.) would not be part of the column assembly.

You aren't saying that the column has to be replaced simply because the bag went off? It would not be replaced unless the column itself was damaged. The airbag is easily R&R'd.

I have to think they will total it out with the damage and both bags. Doesn't take much these days for them to do that when they get a little age and miles on them. With some cars, because of the cost of the airbag, with only a deployed bag and no other damage, the car gets totalled out.

Bill Putney

Bill

Just had a talk with the Allstate adjuster/inspector.

Airbags, Dash/cowl housing, instrument panel and the total steering gear must be replaced. The steering gear from the steering wheel to the pitman arm. The whole works.

Other damage includes the grille, fender, some interior body parts, radiator and supports and the AC condenser. Approximately 10,600 plus anything unseen. Bluebook is 11,600. The insurance company will probably recommend totaling. I can buy it back for maybe 1000. With a salvage title.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

If it is more than 75% they will total it. I would let the insurance C have it. Unless you want it for parts. Salvage title vehicles have ver poor resal

-

Message posted using

information at

sqdancerLynn

OK - apparently the damage went quite a bit deeper than I thought from your first post (not saying you mis-stated anything, just working from what I remember - not always a good idea). As long as the column is being replaced due to specific damage to it AND NOT SIMPLY BECAUSE THE AIR BAG DEPLOYED - that's my only point on that.

So - you are saying that there was actual damage to dash/instrument panel, steering gear and column??

Yeah - I went thru a total out/buy back on my '99 Concorde (same car mechanically with exception of the engine) about 4 months ago - all from damage to front passenger side fender, headlight, and relatively minor damage to the two doors on that side. I had an alignment shop check the alignment, I replaced that one headlight assembly, and I've been driving it on my 80 mile daily commute ever since. Oh - it was so *not* mechanically damaged that, after the accident, after I gathered my wits, I chased down the guy who ran me off the road for two miles at high speed with no mechanical problems whatsoever. But the blue book was pretty low owing to mileage at just shy of 200k.

Anyway - enough about me. Sounds like your damage is more extensive. I think the ins. cos. generally total it out when the cost of restoration is something like 80% or more of the blue book - and they usually try to find the lowest blue book value they can to lo-ball you on the payout (and to bias the decision further towards totaling it out).

As far as your buyback - I'd be surprised if it's that low. IIRC, on mine, it was in the $500 range.

Good luck in dealing with that.

Bill Putney

You might be right about that.

Not necessarily true. The ins. co. told me that after a car is - I think they said - 6 (7?) years old or more, the law says that a salvage title is not issued. I don't know if that's specific to Virginia, and/or if other states have similar laws. I have totaled out/bought back two cars in the last 12 or so years, and neither one got re-titled. Looks like Bob's in Arizona (?), so I don't know how it works there.

Bill Putney

(Oops - hit send too soon...)

But - Bob - that's something you need to specifically find out as it might (or might not) affect your decision.

Bill Putney

Bill

Not sure about the salvage time thing with AZ.

Before I go on I should put in here that the car has 16,500 miles on it. A Sunday driver if there ever was one. Once to Las Vegas and twice to Phoenix from Tucson and the rest is Sunday driving. An occassional social drive but I made sure to drive it every Sunday to keep it ready to go. At the dealer when I would bring it in for service they kidded me about putting on another 1000 miles and did it need an overhaul!!

So if you know where I can get a 2001 LHS in all but perfect condition with close to 16.5K miles on it please let me know. I would not have been willing to sell mine for 11.5.

Take care Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Yeah - how much did they *ADD* to the value for way under typical mileage - I'll bet not much if any. They sure know how to take the value off for high miles though.

Find another '01 with under 20k miles on it!? You've got to be kidding.

You might post to the 300M forums - there are some LHS owners there - some keep them up pretty well. One might be ready to sell and buy an M or a new challenger.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mr158912