2001 Sebring Transmission Failure - Need help

Hi, my buddy has a 2001 Chrysler Sebring, auto transmission, six cylinder 3 liter engine w/ 58,000 miles. It is well maintained and always serviced according to schedule. YHesterday, 58,000 miles, the auto transmission fails (car stops moving) and it is towed to a Chrysler dealer who tells him the transmission needs to be replaced at a cost of $7,000.00. This a well maintained car w/ 58k miles. The car was never abused or driven hard. What can explain a transmission failure a 58K miles?

Anything the guy can do to save a few bucks on the repair? Is there a transmission recall for this car?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

That $7K for a transmission seems a bit ridiculous. Definitely not the route I'd take. I would expect no more that $2k for a rebuilt one. You could scrap it and buy a used 2006 10K-15K leased one for about $12k, assuming you want another Sebring. Or take a chance on a used transmission from the wreckers and immediately trade the Sebring for a properly designed car.

We are well maintaining my wife's same model & yr Sebring; here's hoping this isn't typical. She's only at 30K miles. Oh my between that engine wrecking itself because of sludge and the transmission failures I'll definitely avoid buying another similar design.

Reply to
Some O