2003 Dodge Stratus gear selector indicator

The LED that makes up the "box" that surrounds "D" and "3" for the gear indicator no longer illuminates in the cluster.
I ran the diagnostics, and sure enough, these boxes do not turn on during the test.
If I replace the instrument cluster with a used one, the current mileage should display correctly with the replacement cluster, as this value is stored in the BCM. Is that correct?
I wouldn't bother fixing it, but my teenage son will be driving it soon, and I don't want to risk him having it in the wrong gear.
Thanks,
Kirk M
On Saturday, November 29, 2014 6:16:55 PM UTC-7, greybuck wrote:

Update: I put in a salvage cluster, and everything works perfectly. I may take a look at the old one to see if I can figure out why it the LED's stopped working.
Kirk M