3.0 Water Leak Part Deux

I determined a while back that my '93 Shadow was losing water from the water tube under the intake. Of course, with the intake installed you can't actually SEE where the water is coming from. So, I tore it down the other night, cleaned it all up. Installed new o-rings, new intake gaskets. All sealing surfaces were good and clean, no pitting. I lubed everything up with silicone on assembly. So I got it back together enough to seal the cooling system, pressure checked it, and it leaks worse than before! I'll tear it back down again, but I though I had it covered. Am I missing something? Any tips or tricks to this? I figured on trying the following:

1 - Tweak the mounting brackets for the tube so it pushes deeper into the water pump so the o-rings are pushed against the 'step' in the WP bore. 2 - Tweak the mounting bracket for the cast hose nipple that sticks into the other end of the tube so that it bottoms out with pressure on the o-ring. 3 - Different sealer for the O-rings - #2 Permatex? 4 - thicker O-rings? The Fel-Pro replacements looked good (the old ones were compressed) but the tube sure did slip together easily. I was expecting a more snug fit.

I'm fairly certain the manifold-to-head junction is water-tight. I don't know of any other place for it to leak in the valley area.

Suggestions?

Rex B in Ft Worth

Reply to
Rex B

Use a piece of wood with sand paper. Sand untill EVERYTHING is shiny. The surface you are trying to seal may be slightly warped.

Hope this helps.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

|> I determined a while back that my '93 Shadow was losing water from the |water |> tube under the intake. Of course, with the intake installed you can't |> actually SEE where the water is coming from. So, I tore it down the other |> night, cleaned it all up. Installed new o-rings, new intake gaskets. |All |> sealing surfaces were good and clean, no pitting. I lubed everything up |with |> silicone on assembly. |> So I got it back together enough to seal the cooling system, pressure |checked |> it, and it leaks worse than before! I'll tear it back down again, but |I |> though I had it covered. Am I missing something? Any tips or tricks to |this? |> I figured on trying the following: |>

|> 1 - Tweak the mounting brackets for the tube so it pushes deeper into the |water |> pump so the o-rings are pushed against the 'step' in the WP bore. |> 2 - Tweak the mounting bracket for the cast hose nipple that sticks into |the |> other end of the tube so that it bottoms out with pressure on the o-ring. |> 3 - Different sealer for the O-rings - #2 Permatex? |> 4 - thicker O-rings? The Fel-Pro replacements looked good (the old ones |were |> compressed) but the tube sure did slip together easily. I was expecting a |more |> snug fit. |>

|> I'm fairly certain the manifold-to-head junction is water-tight. |> I don't know of any other place for it to leak in the valley area. |>

|> Suggestions? |>

|> Rex B in Ft Worth |>

| |

Reply to