300 reliability

I'd really like to see it happen, though!

I think the OP has been watching slalom tests where the car is deliberately upset and may *appear* to lift the outside tire at some point in the transition....

An afternoon spent watching (or volunteering) at an autocross is worth more than a thousand words for explaining to people how suspension works. Which brings me to my next point. Solid-rear-axle cars can do surprisingly well autocrossing, as they never lift the inside wheel. As other posters have said, in this modern era tuning and configuration can have a much greater effect than the basic layout of the suspension, and tires are perhaps most important of all.

Reply to
Jack Baruth

D'you mean A-604 or A-670? There's no such thing as A-607.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

That is patently silly!

I'm scratching my head. The INSIDE wheel lifts, not the outside!

Nope, I'm referring to the rear axle on rear-drive cars, same as the topic was originally.

You have to have a differential on the driven axle, whether or not its indpendently suspended. And since we're talking REAR axles on REAR-drive cars, there is by definition a differential involved.

Reply to
Steve

Sorry, A-604. Brain doesn't work very well at 7 a.m. ;)

Reply to
N.Cass