300M mirror gone berserk

The driver's-side mirror on our '02 300M is behaving strangely: when I shift into reverse, the mirror tilts down waaaay more than it used to -- down so far as to be pretty much useless -- and, when the shifter is not in reverse, does not always point in the same place each time the same set of adjustments is invoked, either with the remote or by pressing the button.

Any ideas?

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

mic canic

Yes, I know about setting it so that the mirrors do or do not tilt down when I shift into reverse. I chose "tilt down" when we first got the car, and both mirrors would tilt down a useful amount. But the driver's-side one has suddenly started tilting down more than it used to

-- and more than the passenger-side one.

If I turn off the "tilt down in reverse" option, neither mirror tilts down (as expected), but if I turn it on again, the LH one again tilts down much too far -- and doesn't always point in the same direction when the car is not in reverse.

MB

On 07/14/04 09:33 pm mic canic put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Now the passenger-side mirror sometimes stays tilted down when I shift out of reverse.

When at the dealership this mornimg for a regular service I asked about this, and they said I'll have to schedule a longer appointment for them to check it out. IOW, this seems not to be a known problem with a known solution.

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

Minnie,

Post this question to the 300M ezBoard. I am 97% certain that I have seen this problem posted there in the past with a definitive explanation and solution (though I don'ty recall the details since my Concorde has no such "fancy" mirrors). Unfortunately, being an ezBoard forum, the search engine sucks really bad, but if you post it as a fresh inquiry, I think you'll get a useful answer if not a link to any previous discussions/solutions.

HTH.

Bill Putney

I see you took my advice, and have already gotten some answers. BTW - that ja300mes is a straight-shooting Chrysler dealer service tech.

I notice you posted here as "Minnie", and on the 300M ezBoard as "Alan/Zeeland300M". That gives a whole new meaning to the term "cross-poster". 8^)

Bill Putney

Around the time we moved and got a new email address (our old ISP was a local one in NY), and I was looking for a Spam!-proof identity for use on UseNet, I was listening again to one of my favorite radio shows from the 50s in the UK, where I grew up. "Minnie Bannister" was one of the characters from "The Goon Show"

which is still being re-broadcast both in the UK and around the world. (The Australian Broadcasing Commission tried to discontinue its rebroadcasts at the beginning of this year but was forced by listener demand to resume them.)

I don't know why I picked Minnie Bannister out of the whole bunch of lunatic characters (almost all of them played by only three people). I could just as easily have chosen to be Henry Crun or Hercules Grytpype-Thynne.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Alan (my real name)

On 08/14/04 06:37 am Bill Putney put fingers to keyboard and launched the following message into cyberspace:

Reply to
Minnie Bannister

You're welcome - I hope you get your mirrors working again.

Bill Putney

The car was back in for another regular service yesterday, but I had told them in advance (again) about the mirror problem. They eventually replaced the mirror itself, and so far all seems to be well.

MB

Reply to
Minnie Bannister