300M Rear suspension question

I've noticed that there is some kind of rubbery material hanging out from where the coil springs on our '02 300M (with Performance Handling Package) sit in the lower "cups" of the rear suspension.

Is this something that needs to be taken care of? Urgently? Expensive?

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

Perce - I think what your describing is the lower spring cushion (or isolator) - a foam rubber type of stuff that sits between the bottom of the spring and the strut spring support cup - there's one on the top of the spring too. If that's the part, that's normal. You could replace it, but it will do that again before too long. The part just doesn't last long, but it's not critical. I bet if you check your front ones, you'll find them in similar or worse condition. And for some reason the lower ones fall apart a lot worse than the upper ones.

Bill Putney

Reply to
mr.som ting wong

...and some of us older ones can recall leaf springs losing the spacers between adjacent leafs--leafs didn't even make a noise after their spacers 'slid sideways' to squirm their way out. When I'd 1st notice one sliding, it might take 2 years to come completely out. It was always strange to me why they were there in the 1st place. s

Reply to
sdlomi2