Etymology question for Dori...

When someone makes a profound statement, which is it that people say afterwards: "Hear hear!", or is it "Here here!"?

That's always puzzled me (as well as why people always assume someone from England knows everything about the language).

Reply to
Bill Putney

BP> When someone makes a profound statement, which is it that people say BP> afterwards: "Hear hear!", or is it "Here here!"?

BP> That's always puzzled me (as well as why people always assume BP> someone BP> from England knows everything about the language).

BP> -- BP> Bill Putney BP> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my BP> address with the letter 'x')

It's "hear hear". Check out this link

Cheers,

Indrek Aavisto

Reply to
Indrek Aavisto

Thanks! Makes sense. I think Dori just didn't see my OP.

Reply to
Bill Putney

He did (see the OP), but only just now.

"...as well as why people always assume someone from England knows everything about the language)."

Good question... :-)

Anyway, confusing "hear" with "here" in "hear hear" is quite common.

Indrek is right, even without Wikipedia, but the info there is useful.

It is often used in the UK parliament when MPs wish to support a speaker. Maybe in Congress, too?

So, if you say something I absolutely agree with and wish to echo/amplify it, I would shout "hear, hear", meaning, "Listen to Bill., listen to Bill".

Your language consultant. DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling