Fault code 41 ('96 G. Caravan 3.8L)

The alternator is not charging the battery and I'm getting fault code 41. Everything seems to be running off the battery (no power from the alternator). My wife said everything (radio, A/C, etc.) shut off while driving and then the the engine started bucking and surging intermittently.

My first thought is the alternator is bad and to replace it.

Any other thoughts?

Reply to
David Allen

mic canic

I'm back on the road! Here's what happened:

I pulled that battery and charged it up. When I put it back in the alarm system (which I had disabled a couple of years ago) came back to life. Thought he audible alarm didn't go off (???) it caused the rest of the alarm system to do what it is designed to do. After I figured that out and disable the alarm system again, I was able to start the car.

Unfortunately it was still not charging and I still had fault code 41. I pulled the alternator and had it bench tested and it tested fine. I did notice some corrosion in the alternator connector when I removed it, so I cleaned it out best I could and re-assembled everything. Voila! The system is charging again! 13.8 volts! Before it was only 12.3 volts. So the problem must have been the corrosion in the alternator connector.

intermittently.

Reply to
David Allen