91 Voyager burning oil

Reading the archives, I'm reasonably confident the problem would be valve guides dropping, but I'd just like some confirmation :-)

I have a 91 Voyager with ~154k miles on it. Apart from this one problem, the van runs *great*. In the last 12 months I've had front and back valve cover gaskets, the PCV value and oil pan gasket and catalytic converter (it was cracked).

That work cost a total of ~USD 1000, and fixed a nasty oil leak and smoking problem.

The smoking is back through :( There's a "farting" sound coming from underneath the van - my original mechanic (with whom I've lost a little faith) has said, without actually looking at it, that this was because of an exhaust leak.

Does this sould like it would be caused by values dropping? Or should I look more at the seals to be the problem?

Reply to
Av

Can I ask what the rate of oil consumption is? If this van is 150K miles and it's going through a quart every 1000 miles, then I'd hazard a guess that it's not going to go through more than another 50 quarts before the engine goes kaput. So, why are you spending money trying to get it fixed? For what your dumping into repairs you should just wait until the engine seizes then buy a rebuilt engine, it'd be the same money.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:32:31 -0800, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote: : Can I ask what the rate of oil consumption is? If this van is 150K miles : and it's going : through a quart every 1000 miles, then I'd hazard a guess that it's not : going to go : through more than another 50 quarts before the engine goes kaput. So, why : are you : spending money trying to get it fixed? For what your dumping into repairs : you should : just wait until the engine seizes then buy a rebuilt engine, it'd be the : same money.

It's going through *about* 1 to 2 quarts every 1000 miles. For 50 quarts, that's 50,000 miles and still another 4 years of driving for me (by which time I'll surely have a new vehicle).

How much would it cost to buy a rebuilt engine and have someoen install it? It sounds like a huge job.

Reply to
Av

Reply to
damnnickname