'93 Concorde stalling

Hi there -

I have a '93 Chrysler Concorde 3.3L - I really don't want to get rid of it any time soon because I just paid a bundle to have the transmission fixed... 80,000 miles.

My wife recently had some interesting things happen to her, and I'm wondering if there is any commonalities that might point to something to look at.

Last night, her power steering went completely out when the car completely died and it was hard for her to steer. She restarted the car and it worked again and told me that the entire car (AC and radio included) were dead, and the only thing on was a battery light on the dash. Today, while she was in traffic, it stalled on her twice. Once again the entire vehicle lost power (she said the radio and the AC blower went off too.)

The ECM has a few different codes in it... Code 12 (Memory lost), Code 11 (engine not cranked since last reset), and Code 21 (Oxygen Sensor). [And of course, the obligatory code 55]. I just had the oxygen sensor (or one of them) replaced last year, so if part of this is indeed the O2 sensor, it's the one I didn't change.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to start looking? The battery is new in this car (less than a year old). She said that the starter didn't "whine" like it was a dead battery when she tried to start it, and today, she said she tried a few times before it would finally start.

This car is nice, but I tell you - it's a maintenance nightmare. I've had the transmission overhauled, have a leak in the AC where I have to charge it every year, low speed radiator fan went out one time, leaks in the valve and oil pan gaskets, you name it!! I can't wait to get rid of it. :)

Please e-mail me back at jon==guidry!!!!!org (replace == with @ and !!!!! with .) or reply in this NG.

Thanks! Jon

Reply to
Jon Guidry

Sounds like some sort of intermittent in the charging system. When the garaged changed the transmission they might have loosened up a ground wire or some such and forgot to retighten it. Or maybe the alternator is having problems.

If it were my car, before doing any serious troubleshooting I would remove the alternator and take it to a auto parts place and have them put it on an alternator tester, just to make sure that there's no problems. I'd also make a careful visual inspection of all wiring looking for loose, or pinched, or chafed wires somewhere.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

I'd suggest you start by making sure that the serpentine belt (which drives the power steering pump and the alternator too) is still intact. Given the description that the steering wheel got hard to turn, coupled with the electrical problems, I'd say there is a good chance the belt is either slipping badly or broke completely. (It's not clear if the power steering stayed bad after the car re-started from your description)

If this is the case, it is a fairly simple fix, but do it before that new battery gives out from lack of charging.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Actually, I just had this happen to me yesterday... the car just died in traffic. My wife was misstaken however - the power was still running (still had radio and blower). Checked the codes, still had that nagging 21 and 11 (O2 sensor and Camshaft not detected.) I was lucky because it died right next to an auto parts store. Someone nudged me in their parking lot and I got a crankshaft sensor and put it in - so far it seems to be working.

I disconnected the battery, reconnected it five minutes later, and now all I have is a 12 and 55 (the normal codes). Let's hope this fixed it.

Thanks!!! Jon

Reply to
Jon Guidry

Reply to