93 Dodge Intrepid

Evening all,

I've got a 1993 Dodge Intrepid with the 4sp Auto tranny. Two weeks ago, after it had gotten very cold here in the Mid Atlantic, the tranny began having a serious problem. Let me describe the problem.

You start the car, it idles great. Let it warm up (it was cold here). Slip it into gear (D). Nothing. If you rev high enough, it will lurch forward a few inches then stop like you slammed it into park. Slip it into reverse. Rev it up a little. It feels as if it trying to move forward. Another fun thing, facing downhill, in any gear (including neutral) it will not roll forward. If you turn the ignition off, it will roll (almost killed my wife, when I left it in neutral and killed the engine). When this began happening, we did have a around 6" of snow on the ground and the car was driven.

Is it possible that something electrical got knocked off the transmission? The fluid is a nice pink, with no burn smell whatsoever, and this problem occured sudddenly with no warning pretty much, that I am thinking it has to be electrical / computer.

We purchased this car a few months ago for my daughter to drive to school (she provided 3/4 of the money, we picked the car). I'd like to get it back on the road, cause I'm scared of her driving my 82 Dodge Ram.

Thanks for any help

Martin

Reply to
Martin

The first thing I would do is change the tranny fluid and filter. Check the bottom of the pan for abnormal amounts of metal/debris. Put fresh fluid and be sure the level is correct; not over or under. Good luck. PS. After changing my chrysler car's transmission fluid many times, here's how I would do it. First buy a vacuum pump system at any auto parts store. Stick the hose down the trans. filler tube and vacuum out the trans. fluid as much as you can. Then upbolt the pan and clean and change the filter. There is a new gasket with a rubber ring or lip that can be reused. I paid $30 for it but you can reuse it supposedly up to 5 times. No sticky silicon sealant to deal with.

Reply to
KayakNE1

change the fliter and fluid....but pull the pan and drain it dont mess with a pump and anything fancy.

PS how much fluid is in it now? sounds like the pump isnt getting enough or your govenor pressure is low.

Reply to
robs440