LFO: 1996 Dodge Intrepid acting up

The issue is two-fold...

The engine starts fine and idles smoothly. But upon acceleration, a) the car will stumble/lurch and lose power, and b) the speedometer needle will bounce and/or bury itself. A drop into neutral and the speedometer reads actual speed normally. The two problems began to happen simultaneously; one did not start up before the other.

Any ideas on what could be causing this problem? (Something electrical?)

Thanks, Brian

Reply to
Brian

Output speed sensor or input shaft speed sensor.

Since the speedometer is also affected, my guess is output speed sensor.

Reply to
Steve

Right on the money, Steve. But get this -- the garage I took it to replaced two speed sensors and two wiring harnesses, and it didn't fix a damn thing! Back I go...

I wonder what else it could be? Throttle position sensor, maybe?

Cheers, Brian

Reply to
Brian

Problem solved (I guess)...the speedometer needle jumped and the engine lost power on the way home from the garage, but ran fine the next day and has been ever since. Odd.

-B.

Reply to
Brian