93 Plymouth Acclaim turning noise

Hello...

Been driving a 1993 Acclaim for the last year and a half. The car has always made a low grinding noise during left turns since the car has been acquired. As a driveway mechanic, I have replaced the passenger side (right) wheel bearing, tie rod ends, ball joint (right wheel) and transaxel. Still have the noise. A coworker has suggested that the noise might be the upper pivot bearing on the MacPerson strut.

Does anyone agree or suggest another alternative for the noise?

Any input would be appreciated.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Let's have some more information on this "low grinding noise". Can you compare the sound to anything else?

That's a lot of parts you probably didn't need...

That's possible, but depending on what exactly this noise sounds like, it could be related to the engine mounts. These cars are very sensitive to the lateral positioning of the engine on its mounts. Try following the FSM procedure to centre the engine on the mounts and see if the noise goes away.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

Excuse my ignorance, but what does FSM stand for? I am not a mechanic, just a Haynes and Chilton manual owner.

Thanks for the reply!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

FSM=Factory Service Manual

Reply to
TNKEV

Factory Service Manual. The one printed by Chrysler, which is the one you need. Haynes/Chilton = garbage. Too much omitted and incorrect information. Get the factory book; it'll pay for itself the first time you use it.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

I found a ConsumerGuide automotive report that states that the 92-93 Acclaim engine mounts have a tendency to break. I would never have thought to check this. Thanks! I'll check the mounts this weekend.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Horseshit. They do not have any such a tendency. And the same mounts are used from '89-'95.

But the engine must be centred correctly on the mounts.

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern