Brake Pad Replacement - What to look for

My 2000 Concorde LXi needs brake pads (front, I think). 57,000 miles on the car. The rotor surfaces may need turned as well since I detect a slit (very slight) vibration developing.

I don't need high performance stuff; retired, drive about 15,000 miles a year, normal, mostly highway.

What should I be looking for in type and brand of brake shoe? Advisable to turn all the rotors too?

Reply to
John Gregory

I use the Raybestos ceramic pads and have had pretty good results regarding both stopping and reduced brake dust. You must be easy on your brakes or else do a lot of highway driving as 57K miles is good longevity. I'd also suggest checking the rears at the same time. They usually last about 2x as long as the fronts, but it is worth the time to inspect them. Lastly, you should bleed the system and use fresh (unopened) fluid if you have not done so already.

Good luck with turning your rotors. I definitely recommend this if you are putting on new pads. Where I live (the midwest US rust belt), a 5 year old vehicle's rotors would be badly pitted and could not be turned so would need replacement. Raybestos also makes quality US-made rotors, but they cost about 3x what the Chinese white box generic imports would cost.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I'm in the mid-west as well (northern Ohio), Bob. Is it not advisable to turn the rotors but just replace them?

Reply to
John Gregory

It should be an easy decision once you get the wheels off and have a good look. My rotors always pit on the rear sides so you can't see the damage till you get the rotors off. If they look good and still have enough "meat" on them, then you can certainly turn them as this will be less costly. But, know that they may warp sooner since they will have less thickness/mass.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman