Groaning sound from from left wheel

Hi, I have an '02 Boxster with Yoko tires (yes, I know... NOW), and when I turn hard left at slow speeds or stopped there is a loud groaning sound near the end (but not _at_ the end) of the turn. I feel it through the steering wheel and car, too. The dealership cannot diagnose it, and say I should let it get worse first - enough for it to be easily for them to tell what it is.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Dan Stephenson

I suggest you check your left fender for a homless person

Reply to
Simon Akie

Here is what I would look at.

"Stopped" means that it is not a wheel bearing. That leaves the components that move while at rest. We have ball joints, tie rod ends, rack itself, and Strut bearing on top of strut. Any one of these parts that are "dry" could cause a sound, vibration and noise you refer to.

Ball joints would be first place to be sure is OK. Most unsafe condition. Next is tie rod ends. I don't think the rack because you note left side. Then last is strut bearing. I am not sure on that year of Porsche, but on top of many struts, is a bearing, a strut doesn't turn a lot, but it does turn. Something wrong there could be difficult to find, it is not visible at all to inspect, unless you pull the strut.

Since it does it when stopped, you can do the old stethoscope trick , tip of screwdriver on one end and other, handle end, to your ear, and have some one turn the wheels, look at where noise is loudest.

Another possible, but unlikely, if mechanic worth his salt checked, is a stuck caliper and brake isn't releasing completely.

Reply to
Vern

Thanks, I'll look into that!

Reply to