93 YJ auto transmission quandary

93 YJ auto tranny.

Changed fluid and filter. Shop said that there were no bands on the model that I have (32RH ).

Transmission is still slipping when accelerated hard.

Do I:

1) have current transmission re-built?

2) have a already re-built unit tranny put in?

3) upgrade?

I will be getting a bonus check next week (not sure how much) and might have a few extra greenbacks to throw around.....

tia

paul

p.s. type face has changed whilst composing,,, not sure what this will look like posted,,, apologies if it is as small as it looks now :-\

Reply to
paul

If you are not pretty familiar with this sort of thing, I highly recommend that you have someone else perform the work. Do NOT shop for the "cheap" deal or you will be sorry. Look for a warranty that covers BOTH parts and labor. I would be tempted to take it to a Jeep dealer if yours is reputable, they will be most likely to stand behind the warranty.

Don't forget, after you get it replaced you need to service it on regular basis. Always use the "Severe Service" maintenance intervals in your manual!

Good Luck, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

Paul,

You need to find a qualified "shop" to work on your Jeep that has some interest other than just draining your wallet.

The band adjustment procedure for a '93 32rh transmission is listed below.

FWIW: DC recommends that ATF+4 be used as the transmission fluid in place of the factory Dexron fluid. DC also advises that most transmission problems are related to improper or contaminated fluid

If your "shop" used anything except ATF+4 you might ask them why when you go to collect the refund they owe you...... after all they did not complete the service you paid for (and lied to you to boot!) and you now need to have a qualified shop repair their "repair".

ADJUSTMENTS

NOTE: Bands on the AW-4 transmission are not adjustable. If slippage occurs, bands must be replaced.

KICKDOWN (FRONT) BAND

32RH

1) Locate kickdown band adjusting screw on left side of case

(near throttle lever shaft). See Fig. 1. Loosen adjusting screw lock

nut and back off 4-5 turns. Ensure adjusting screw turns freely in

case.

2) Tighten adjusting screw to 72 INCH lbs. (8 N.m). If

Adapter Extension (J-24063) is used, tighten adjusting screw to 50

INCH lbs. (5 N.m). Back off adjusting screw 2 1/2 turns. Hold

adjusting screw and tighten lock nut to 30 ft. lbs. (41 N.m).

LOW-REVERSE (REAR) BAND (TYPICAL)

32RH

1) Raise and support vehicle. Drain transmission fluid and remove oil pan. Locate low-reverse band adjusting screw on rear servo lever. See Fig. 2. Loosen adjusting screw lock nut. Back off lock nut 5-6 turns.

2) Tighten adjusting screw to 72 INCH lbs. (8 N.m). Back off adjusting screw 4 turns. Hold adjusting screw and tighten lock nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 N.m). Install oil pan and fill transmission with fluid.

Good Luck and welcome,

-br

Reply to
billy ray

I am not a lawyer (didn't like the eternity in Hell clause) but in a case like this if you want satisfaction the "most reasonable" thing to do is to offer to let the shop make things right. You go back there and tell them that the transmission has bands, that you want adjusted. If you don't give them a chance to make things right, then you have less leverage for asking for a refund. Sure they have no business being in business if they are idiots, but anyone can make a mistake.

As far as the fluid type is concerned, if DC is now recommending a fluid, that is different and much more expensive than the factory fluid, then the shop owner has a right to question whether this is reasonable, and to impose an added charge when the customer wants it. Lots of the chains have small print that says which fluid they are willing to include in their standard service charge.

If you let bands slip for too long then they get glazed or worn to the point where replacement is indeed necessary.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I might disagree depending on how he requested the service. If he asked for the service recommended by DC for his '93 then that price includes the ATF+4 which DC recommends (a competent mechanic would know the fluid specs have changed). If he said I want the $19.95 fluid change special utilizing recycled waste Red Chinese Tractor fluid then that is another matter.

Paul, If you need the diagrams that go with the written directions just send me your e-mail address where you can receive attachments.... (and remind me it is for a '93 32rh band adjustment)

Reply to
billy ray

"Nobody" is sophisticated enough to ask for "current manufacturer recommended service" except maybe you. They assume that "industry standard" is "good enough" and they are probably right. I don't know about this particular transmission, but if it left the factory with Dexron III, then Dexron III is probably acceptable for it. How are ATF+4 prices recently? I haven't had to buy any since I traded my Ram Van on a Suburban.

Now the manual transmission in my Honda Civic is another matter. Honda recommended engine oil in the owner's manual for that application, but the actual fluid specs have changed, and the oil that you find on the shelves now is not the same oil that was on the shelves eight years ago. In that case I have to get a special manual transmission fluid, which is reasonable.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Real Americans have firearms and know how to use them to protect their homes and families..

Be sure to send the vet bill to the local terrorist group that thinks repopulating suburban areas with predators is a good idea. .

Reply to
billy ray

I didn't know that anyone was contemplating "repopulating" anywhere with coyotes. As far as I know, they do pretty well on their own. Cougars too. When I was living in Redmond, WA they put a huge housing development on Cougar Mountain, which was still home to cougars. I am not so sure that is right either. One of the little fellows developed a taste for Rottweilers. Took one right out of a family's back yard while the kids were out there playing. Now if you are talking about wolves and lynx, well I live in a tourist area, and tourists just love the idea that these furry little woodland creatures might be about. They get all warm and fuzzy inside, just from seeing a chipmunk. I trap the little guys in my back yard with a live trap, and ferry them out to the camp ground. I should probably be getting a bounty from the Forest Service, but I do it as a public service. Heh, I'll remember to keep the corgi under close watch, but Wiley is sure to go for my neighbor's unfenced dogs first.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton