'96 T&C - Alarm goes off for no reason.

Scenario:

The alarm is turned on (with FOB) and the alarm activates, for NO reason, within 1 to 3 minutes. This has been going on for [about] 2 years. No modifications to the vehicle & no wrecks or bumps. It often happens in busy areas (shopping mall parking lots, doctor office, etc.). I'll hear the alarm 'honking' from within the building I'm in - go outside & reset the alarm - 1 to 3 minutes later it goes off again. Go BACK OUTSIDE, reset it, and it goes off again after a few minutes. VERY ANNOYING !!!!

Sometimes, I'll park it at home and it will go off an hour or so after it's been sitting idle & undisturbed. At first, I questioned whether others FOB's 'may' be setting it off. But kind of discounted that thought after happening so frequently.

Someone suggested I lock & unlock the drivers door several times and the problem would 'go away'. That didn't work. The Chrysler dealer here has a nasty reputation of ripping people off. I believe if I went to the dealer, they would suggest I needed 4 new wheels, replace the passenger seat, put in a new motor, install a second transmission, and purchase 68 boxes of girl scout cookies from the managers young daughter - doing so would 'perhaps' resolve the problem.

Any advice would be MOST appreciated. I love the T&C - if it were not for that damned alarm I'd be a happy camper :-)

Thanks for any practical input ...

Al

Reply to
Frankensmith

Hi Al...

Just a gentle suggestion, if I may?

How about locking it up in your driveway, then gently teasing each of the doors (etc) a bit. Kinda push and pull and tap a little.

Wondering if one of the sensors isn't sitting in a marginal position.

Take care, and all the best in the new year.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Depending on the where the car was built and the time it was built you may have an improper lamp and hood switch causing your problem. Raise the hood and measure the height of the switch from the top surface of the left hood hinge body half to the top of the switch plunger. If the height is less than

15/16 in. you need to install the correct switch. Thermal expansion may be causing the hood to raise and activate the alarm. Part number for the new switch if needed is 4687594. If you weren't so tight... you would take your vehicle to the dealer and purchase the 65 boxes of girl scout cookies from the manager and while you are there ask the service department to scan the module to see what last triggered the alarm. That would help!!

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower