96 Town & Country Electrical Problem

Hi all,

About 2 weeks ago, my wife stopped at a store for about 15 minutes and when she came out the T&C wouldn't start (she said no lights just dead). I had her open the hood and make sure the cables to the battery were secure by tugging on them a little (she said they were). She went back inside and the thing started right up. Since then she said it died once while making a slow turn, but started right up.

I have checked the connections and all seem secure (including checking just last night). This morning she went to the garage to start it and nothing (she said the engine compartment light was flickering). While she had the hood open, I could hear over the phone, a light "chrip" type sound over the phone comming from under the hood. I had her tap the battery connections lightly with a hammer, and still no change. She called me back later and said it finally started (the first time she said it started hard clicking then slow turn then start) and then 2 times after with no problem. She said after she would shut the engine off and turn the key to off, she hears a "click" sound from around the emergency pedal location.

I believe the battery is over 4 years old, but to me it doesn't make sense that it could be dead 1 minute and the next have full power (as it did the first time this happened). I suspected the battery at first, but after I drove it for several days on my own, I didn't notice any problems.

Reply to
99trooper

maxpower

It is possible that there is corrosion on your battery terminals and/or battery posts. Tapping on these may sometimes temporarily fix the problem but it will recur. You should get a battery terminal cleaner that has wire brushes for cleaning both the posts and the inside of the terminals and, once cleaned use antioxidant grease for battery terminals when hooking back up. You can test to see if indeed the connections or the battery is at fault if you have a voltmeter or multimeter. While the van is acting up(and this is maybe the hardest part, hold the probes to the battery posts, NOT the terminals of the van and watch the voltage. The idea is to monitor the battery DIRECTLY and not through the terminals. Have your wife try to crank it. If it does not crank and the voltage remains above 11 volts, you have a connection problem due to corrosion, faulty cable or the like. If the battery voltage drops way down when the van does not crank, the battery is failing internally.

Reply to
techdrive

[...]

Thanks for the info... I have a brush for the posts and cables (just been too busy lately to really do a good job- so I left it. Anyway, I will go get a new battery tommorrow, and also clean my cables and see where it takes me.

Reply to
99trooper

I have the same problem a few years ago on another type of car, but i think it is a similar problem. Check the ground connections..battery / starter / engine to body and so on. The battery is not to old,you have another two or three years before it may cause problems, depending on how you treat it of course. The sound may be a relay trying to close when you got a bad ground connection.

//Janne

Reply to
Janne S Sweden

The battery is four years old! I would think the first cause of action is to have the battery tested. Why do all this other stuff without knowing the condition of the battery???

Reply to
RPhillips47

the battery needs to be load tested and if it passes then i would check the terminals make sure they are clean! and tight

99tro> Hi all,
Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
jdoe

I agree with several of the others here that, with the age of the battery, it's time to replace it - chances are that the problem will magically disappear when you do. Most likely, one of the battery terminals is fractured inside (between the battery's post or side terminal and the internal plates). I have had that exact thing happen on two batteries on my personal vehicles in the last 25 years - and one of those was a DIE HARD (that was the one about 25 years ago). The symptoms I had both times was normal operation with intermitent total disconnect. After removal of the batteries, I found that the guilty terminal could be easily twisted out of the battery, and what came out was corroded down to an ice sickle-shaped point - IOW, it's a wonder they could supply starting current, but they did when the connection was made.

Bill Putney

Reply to
maxpower

Reply to