99 Dodge Caravan AWD rear stability

Is there any add on that will help stabilize the rear end for

99 Dodge Grand Caravan AWD. Primarily interested in reducing side to side motion.
Reply to
StevJensen

Proper wheel alignment, maybe? You shouldn't have side to side motion unless something is out of whack with your suspension or tires.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Check cold tire pressure. Should be 35 psi. Different (stiffer) tires might help.

Richard.

Reply to
Richard

"Matthew S. Whiting" snipped-for-privacy@computer.org wrote

Thanks for the response, but... No there is nothing mechanically wrong with it. The tires are fine. And the handeling characteristics have not changed since I bought it new.

I realize that it was never intended to be a sports car, but I want better latteral support

Reply to
StevJensen

"Richard" snipped-for-privacy@rr.cap.com wrote

Thanks I realize that it was never intended to be a sports car, but I want better lateral support.

Reply to
StevJensen

On our '98 GC Sport, we replaced the OEM 216/65-16 Michelin MX4s with

235/60-16 Dunlop SP Sport A2s. That made a significant difference in ride quality, wet and dry handling, and stability.
Reply to
RWM

You've answered your own question: trade the van for a can that handles the way you want. You might be able to install wider wheels and tires and lower the van, but you'd spend well over $1,000 for probably not a lot of gain ... and you'd give up a lot of the ground clearance you need to made AWD worth anything at all in the snow.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Reply to
mic canic

"Matthew S. Whiting" snipped-for-privacy@computer.org wrote

Yep, snow and mud season(which is way worse) + the need to haul lotso stuff. There is a lot of cubic in a Caravan.

The problem is that deer dodging is also high on the list. And I don't care for the way the rear snaps over and wants to pop the rear axle free, if you don't have time to preload the turn. The front holds reasonably well and overall I think it handles better than other SUVs with no room in them.

I found some sway bar stuff on a web site that might help for $300 or so, but they specifically excluded AWD version.

Reply to
StevJensen

Never had a big problem with my Chrysler vans, but neither is AWD so they sit lower and have a different rear suspension. They aren't sports cars, but they handle pretty well for what they are, IMO.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting