94 Caravan Starter "shim"?

Hello...I am still having the same problem with my Caravan as a month or two ago..You turn the key and solenoid clicks but that`s all..Usually after 5-20 times it will start..We`ve gone down the list and checked all the normal stuff and nothing has fixed it (Battery, ground, starter motor, relay..etc)..Today some guy at the 7-11 said he had the problem once and the starter motor needed to be "shimmed"..I`ve never heard of this..Any input will be appreciated

Reply to
Sara Brown

Shimming a starter that binds is a Chevrolet design deficiency that was ubiquitous in the 70s and 80s. The Nippondenso starter in your Caravan needs new solenoid contacts.

Reply to
Steve

Yes. See if you can find a way to just replace the contacts, instead of the whole starter. An independent auto electric shop may be able to do it. If you can remove the starter yourself, you can save on some labor.

-KM

Reply to
kmath50

The parts you need are here:

This is a link that Bill Putney posted previously and has excellent prices. You will only need two of the contacts and the contact plunger, but this kit with 4 contacts fits other Nippondenso starters used in other vehicles too.

You need to get under the vehicle to remove the starter. This is about a thirty minute job for someone who knows what they are doing. Once the starter is out, it is fairly trivial to open the solenoid and replace these parts. If you clean everything up and reverse the procedure,you should get another 5-6 years/5-75K miles from the repaired starter. The motors themselves are very well made and generally do not fail very often. The solenoid contacts, on the other hand, get consumed a little bit by the large inrush current every time you start the vehicle.

Good luck.

Bob

PS Here is another web site with good photos that show the damage to the contacts over time and also offer just the contacts themselves and not the plunger too:

Yes. See if you can find a way to just replace the contacts, instead of the whole starter. An independent auto electric shop may be able to do it. If you can remove the starter yourself, you can save on some labor.

-KM

Reply to
Bob Shuman

I had an 88 with the starter that had the solenoid contacts easily accessible on the starter. I went to order new when the starter quit about 350 miles from home, but they were 'out of them'. Anyway, there was a 'bar' in the assembly that was very pitted on one side, so when I put it back together I flipped it over the clean side. It worked fine, and while I bought the parts when I got home, the new bar and the two bolts were still in a baggie in the glove box when the van was gotten rid of almost 100K miles later.

Might pay to take it apart and actually see what's going on, and what could easily be done.

Reply to
Mike Y

If you've got the 3.3 or the 3.8 L engine, make sure the battery to starter cable is making good connection at the starter. There's a TSB

08-53-94 out there describing how to cut some of the insulating material away from terminal insulator on the starter end of the cable.
Reply to
kurt

Thank you to all the nice people who replied to my post..I got the solenoid repair kit today and replaced the contacts and plunger and so far the van has been starting just fine! :-)

Reply to
Sara Brown

I am curious to know where you purchased the repair kit. Is it a pre- package kit that can be purchased at auto part stores?

Thanks,

KM

Reply to
kmath50

I got mine at the alternator/starter repair place I pass along my delivery route as we do business with them sometimes and they had them in stock...But you can get them at Advance Auto Parts..I tried Advance first as there is one right across the street from my store but the guy said he didn`t have one in stock but could have it the next day for $12.95...It comes with the plunger and 4 copper contacts although you only need 2 as someone mentioned...I paid more at the auto electric place but didn`t want to wait another day as my brother wouldn`t shut up about the van taking so long to start...LOL

Reply to
Sara Brown