99 Voyager V-6 and Plug Access

I have seen this question for other v-6's, but how do I get to the 2 rear plugs nearest the passenger side of the car? Can I get to them by taking off the catalytic converter and then reaching up from below?

Also, if this is the right way to get to them can I undo just the 4 bolts that connect the converter to the exhaust manifold and move it out of the way or is there more that needs to be disconnected?

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
russ

Probably easier to lift off the intake manifold. Haynes manual says that you remove alternator to change the one to the to the left as you look at the engine (and it does work). However, for the other two it says to remove the resonator and intake strut bolt at the cylinder head then remove strut bolt at the manifold and swing strut out of the way. Plugs can then be accessed with a normal plug socket. I have changed the first by removing the alternator but not the last two, yet!

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

You did not need to remove the alternator to get at the passenger side rear spark plug. I found that removing the bracket was sufficient and a whole lot easier.

On the other two rear plugs, One was a two minute job from underneath the van and the other was also "doable" from underneath although it was a PITA.

Good luck!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Reply to
damnnickname

I second what GW wrote. I read the same words right out of a Haynes manual. Of course I didn't follow it. The remaining two are accessible from underneath. A bit of a reach, but with the right extensions and floppy joint, it's not so hard.

Reply to
David J. Allen

I'm trying to picture removing the alternator bracket, but not the alternator itself!

Reply to
David J. Allen

Dave,

Take a look and you will see that it can be done. IIRC, the alternator has another bolt below that if its not loosened will hold it in place. You can easily remove the bracket by removing two bolts (this is based on my memory of the process from last year) and you can leave the alternator alone. Doing this eliminates the need to remove the positive battery cable (and reset the radio/clock) or deal with the serpentine belt/tensioner either. Not that this is a huge deal, but it saves a few unnecessary minutes.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

David

I'm curious, how did you get underneath to gain access? Did you use normal car ramps or did you have access to a proper vehicle ramp.

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

All I have are jack stands and regular old ramps, so it was one of those two things (can't remember which). I have a creeper to roll around on too. It's a bit of a reach up there and I couldn't see much with my arm up there, but I could feel my way around. One advantage I had was air tools. It makes a big difference not having to swing a ratchet around and try to break the plugs loose with the limited space.

When I was done, I thought to myself "That wasn't so bad". Perhaps because I'd heard it was pretty hard and was expecting worse.

Reply to
David J. Allen

David

I can't use the ramps that I have because the front spoiler it too low! This makes simple things like changing the oil a pain. So much so that I usually just take it to my local mechanic and let him use his car lift. Gone are the days when I would under my car on a creeper. I must see if I can still find it!

Gerald

Reply to
Gerald Wooding

Yeah, by the time I started doing my own work on my '96 the front bumper cover had been scraped and damaged underneath and the ramps did nothing in comparison. So I just let the ramps rub against it.

However, jackstands work very nicely behind the front wheels. You just need a floor jack to lift the van up and position the jackstands.

I let the mechanics at the dealer do all the work on it for the for the first 4 1/2 years. That ended when the first tranny failed. It took me a long time to recover financially from that and I didn't feel like paying them any more money. So I started DIY'ing since then.

Reply to
David J. Allen

Sure you can. I have the same problem, but it is easily solved by laying a 2x6 between the tire and the ramp. That raises the spoiler enough to clear the ramp.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting

Matt

That's a good idea, the 2x6 then forms a lead up to the ramp. I try it and have a look at my transmission cooling lines at the same time (my dealer said that they were weeping slightly at the last service)..

G.

Reply to
Gerald Wooding