A/C Refrigerant Hose blew up, can I use a hose form a 2.7l concorde same year?

I was having the refrigerant recharged in my concorde when the A/C Refrigerant Hose litteraly blew up, well at least the rubber hose did.

2 questions, since its under such high pressure, is there a way to just replace the rubber (damn ive been doing alot of that lately) Secondly, is using a hose from a 2.7l 98 Concorde an option? They all seem to look the same but I godda make sure.

I think thats it for today. I know I need to get a new receiver drier so ill start with that.

1998 Concorde 160k miles 3.2l Engine No AC :(
Reply to
AFX

On the LH car forums, it is common practice to replace the 2.7 with the

3.2/3.5 if the 2.7 goes bad. They advise getting the peripherals with the replacement engine, including the a.c. hoses, but they do say that the old hoses *can* be re-used, but that they need to be bent slightly to fit. So it sounds like it could be made to work. The hoses aren't that expensive thru the dealer. When I replaced the evaporator in one of my Concordes a couple of years ago, I replaced all the a.c. lines too.
Reply to
Bill Putney

A competent A/C shop can replace the rubber part of the hose and reuse your ends. Several in my neck of the woods will make them for you for next to nothing if you pull the old hose off and take it to them.

Make sure the person charging the system is using the proper setup to do so. They should have a manifold gauge to monitor both high and low pressure while charging. The hose could have blown because the high pressure went out of spec (or it could have just been a week spot on an old hose).

Now that the hose has blown you will also need a new dryer and need to pull the air/moisture out of the system with a vacuum pump. I would probably replace the expansion device as well since the system is already "open". You probably know all that already...

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

Hmm. Ill have to check that out, I havent been able to find many shops who havent tried to make me just buy the whole damn assembly though.

Reply to
AFX

There is a high pressure relief valve on the compressor, so the hose was probably weak.

Bill Putney

If he stopped the car and quickly sealed off the ends right after the hose blew, he will likely be fine with the dryer.

Yup.

No need, but checking the filter screen going into the expansion orifice would be a good idea.

He also likely will have lost considerable oil. During an explosive decompression the oil will go rushing out of the system, unlike if the freon loss is gradual.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt