A606 Transmission Troubles

My '97 Intrepid has 165K on it and its third transmission. All three were installed before it had 50K on it.

While passing a car the other day it down shifted and the engine reved. The check engine light came on and the OBD is showing codes 12,

45, and 55. The transmission will shift into second for a while but then down shifts to first. It has plenty of fluid and does not smell too burnt. All mechanics I have talked to say it needs to be replaced. But I have a few questions first:

  1. Could this be a controller problem and not the tranny?

  2. Could a flush and a filter change fix it?

  1. Are any of the on-line tranny rebuilders better than the next?

  2. What is the OBD code 45?

Thanks for the help.

Tim

Reply to
Tim N.

The code 45 is internal TCM. This means that the TCM is reporting internal errors. If all wiring checks out good then the TCM needs to be replaced. The code 55 is a ratio error and the code 12 is a battery was disconnected.

The first problem to deal with should be the TCM issue. This may correct the Ratio error.

Tom

Reply to
news.slurp.net

I agree with you Daniel,and I REALLY LOVE the :

Reply to
Richard Benner Jr