American

Can I buy a Chrysler if I wish to buy American ?

Historically, Chrysler was American until the buyout in 1999. I know they have many factories and workers here, but Toyota does too. So what gives ?

I could buy a Toyota Sienna with 85% US content, or a German owned Dodge built here, or a Mexican built Ford or and American assembled Hyundai.

Reply to
Steve

Maybe you could buy one assembled here. You have to decide whether Canada counts as "home" to you. I'm not sure where Chysler still builds stuff, but I guess Belvedere is making the new Caliber. The 300/LX stuff is made in Canada.

Reply to
Joe

Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2006 22:33 (US Central Time) Steve wrote in rec.autos.makers.chrysler:

And to confuse you even more ... Chrysler was started by a man of german descent. The family name was "Kreissler" ... :-)

Talk to you later ... Hans from Germany (310 to go)

Reply to
Hans Muecke

Yes, the majority of Chrysler cars are made in America. Although like you mentioned, Chrysler was "Taken Over", but in 1998, around the time when I retired. They are very much a German company, I can show you my dividend checks from the stock I have that have German taxes taken out.

Although I am still a UAW member in retirement, here is a way of telling where a car was built. Buy what ever you want - it is YOUR money :-) HEY you can even buy a Toyota truck that is built in California by UAW workers - joint venture - Toyota and GM)

Dan

Support union jobs in the U.S. and Canada This guide is prepared by the UAW to provide information for consumers who want to purchase vehicles produced by workers who enjoy the benefits and protections of a union contract.

All vehicles on this list are made in the United States or Canada by members of the United Auto Workers (UAW), Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) or the International Union of Electrical Workers-Communication Workers of America (IUE-CWA).

Because of the integration of U.S. and Canadian vehicle production, all vehicles on this list include significant UAW-made content and support the jobs of UAW members.

However, those vehicles marked with an asterisk (*) are sourced from the United States and/or Canada and a third country. When purchasing one of these models, check the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN.) A VIN beginning with ?1,? ?4? or ?5? identifies a U.S.-made vehicle; ?2? identifies a Canadian-made vehicle. Not all vehicles made in the United States or Canada are made by union-represented workers. The Toyota Corolla, for example, is made in the United States by UAW members, but the Canadian model is made in a nonunion plant and other models are imported from a third country. To be sure you have a union-made vehicle, buy one of the vehicles on this list.

Select a Union Made Vehicle

Canadian Auto Workers (CAW) Vehicles

International Union of Electrical Workers-Communication Workers of America (IUE-CWA) Vehicles

United Auto Workers (UAW) Cars

United Auto Workers (UAW) SUVs

United Auto Workers (UAW) Trucks

United Auto Workers (UAW) Vans

Reply to
Daniel

And the Crossfire is made in Osnabrück.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Forget trying to buy "American"!

In Britain buying Ford became buying British...

Globalisation lives.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Plus most Caravans.

FYI: Canada, USA and Mexico are in a NAFTA agreement. The point of vehicle manufacture is basically the final assembly plant.

My '95 Concord was assembled in Canada, my wife's '01 Sebring was assembled in the USA. Parts for these came from many countries, even outside NAFTA.

Reply to
who