Autm. car: Put in Neutral at Red Traffic Lights?

I'd argue that those are more like reasons (b) and (c). Reason (a) is that a stiff clutch spring plays HELL on the throw-out bearing if you sit there with the engine running and the clutch down at traffic lights.

Reply to
Steve

Easy to apply, easy to release. I have been driving automatics for years, so hill holding is not so critical, though my newer car (year 2001) does, rather disconcertingly, roll back on a hill. I can do hill starts with the foot-operated brake. You're not really supposed to hold the car for long on a hill, otherwise the clutch would go, no? I don't have many hill starts.

I don't practise skids.

Stuff in the tray between the seats doesn't interfere with my grip.

Ergo, I am satisfied with the foot brake.

And in case you ask, I frequently rent cars which have manual gear boxes and hand brakes. And my older car is an afore-mentioned automatic Merc 190 with hand-operated parking break.

Maybe if I lived in the hills and had a manual transmission I might think differently.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

Well, you've never had a hand brake that was well designed and/or adjusted properly. I could lock the rear wheels with the hand brake in my Honda Accord. It was about the only thing in that car that worked well, but that's another story! :-)

Heel and toe doesn't work well with a Chevy pickup, but then it lacks a hand brake so that doesn't work well either! Luckily, Low gear is so low that you'd have to be a real clutz to stall it.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew S. Whiting