Car cut out at lights

Had a strange problem for my rock solid mk4 golf (1.6 petrol auto) not the best economy but ...

Anyway never had a problem like this before... I was stood at some traffic lights, the car made what felt a stall sympton and cut out and the battery light cropped up, I restarted and all was fine. I'm wondering what the problemo might be ?

I checked the battery with is about 10 years old! and never been changed. I checked it with a multimeter I know now a proper test but a guidance, not running it reads 12.57 and running 14.07 is this correct or running readings a bit low ?

I guess might of just been a blip, but I'll keep an eye on it for any more problems.

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

I had a ford focus in that did something similar, 99 out of 100 stops would be fine, then stall, it turned out to be a minor split in a vacuum pipe.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not the thing you want to happen especially in the cold weather. I would not suspect the battery as the cause of it cutting out though, particularly with it having enough grunt to fire the car back up again.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

In article , Matthew.Ridges scribeth thus

Idle bypass valve .. has it got one?, they are good at that, that won't idle or tickover it just stals...

Reply to
tony sayer