I put an Optima red top in my Fox

For anyone who has wanted to put an Optima battery in their fox car, but was disappointed when their web site make/model lookup announced "we do not make a battery to fit your car." I can tell you, the 34/78 size red top fits perfectly in my 93 GT (don't know about 94-up or others). The battery came with an assortment of adapters, one of which was essentially a drop-in replacement for the factory hold-down wedge. I just put the battery in the tray, put the included hold-down in place of the factory hold-down, put in the factory bolt and tightened it down. Fits great and snug! Now, why would they go and say "sorry we don't make one for your car" when this one fits so well. Who knows, but I would have bought one a long time ago if I had known it would drop right in.

John

93 GT
Reply to
jmvannoy

First put one in my 89 in 1998. Didn't come with any adapters, though, so I had to fabricate my own hold down. I figured if it fits in the tray and has enough power, it 'fits' the car.

Reply to
Blue Gator

Funny you mention this I had such a problem around last December trying to get an Optima battery for my Stang. Here is a copy of an email I sent to Optima regarding this matter. Also FYI red top 75/35 works like a charm. I wound up ordering it online from Jegs.

"On the eve of December 6th I went into Sears to get an Optima Battery for my 1988 Mustang 5.0L. I was told that Optima does not make batteries for my model car. I rebutted people are using a specific model for their cars the

75/35 model. The manager would not let the worker sell it to me again cause there was no application listed for my car. He claimed a $2billion dollar lawsuit of some sort cause Sears sold the wrong battery and it caused harm in the situation. He then recommended a Sears Diehard Battery that he said would be better then the Optima. I told him I understand it's his job but I asked around did my homework and I am sure I wanted the Optima 75/35. He refused to sell it to me. I noticed that you don't have a listing for any Mustangs however your website shows a Mustang with your battery in it so perhaps no applications for this car is an oversight at the moment. Can you please post applications for Ford Mustangs so this problem doesnt happen to others or myself again? I want the best for my car and believe in your product. Thanks.

Nicholas "

Reply to
Nicholas Anthony

Hmm, interesting. Here's the email I sent to Optima, and their reply:

[my email] Hello, I have seen many 87-97 Mustangs with Optima batteries (red top and yellow top) but the local parts store says their fitment guide shows no matches for my 93. You web site also shows no matches. Can you give any advice about which Optima model(s) will fit my 93 Mustang and whether adapters are available to make them fit? [their reply] The '93 Mustang takes a Group Size 58 battery, which Optima doesn't manufacture. I'm unable to provide a recommendation since we don't meet the physical dimensions required for the vehicle's battery tray. If you are interested in the dimensions for our batteries, they can be found on our website
Please feel free to contact customer service at the number below if you have any other questions. Thank you for your interest and support of Optima Batteries.

Nicholas Anth> Funny you mention this I had such a problem around last December trying to

Reply to
jmvannoy