Auto-dimming mirror questions

Hello,

I just replaced my '01 Stratus with an '05. The '01 had an auto-dimming rear-view mirror that dimmed whenever it was dark outside. This was nice. The new one however has a different mirror (either a Gentex or a Gentex-clone, as it doesn't say Gentex on it anywhere but looks 95% like their 50-GENK60 mirror) that doesn't seem to dim unless it's dark outside *and* it detects headlights coming from behind. I guess this sounds good in theory but 1) it takes a few seconds to react (too long) to headlights, 2) the headlights have to hit at the right angle, and 3) it only detects headlights that are within ~15 car lengths of me.

I'm not at all an electronics guy... But this thing has a sensor on the front and one on the back, and they appear to be in an "AND" configuration. Does anyone know of a way to rig this thing so that it dims when its dark outside (i.e., when there's low light hitting the front-facing sensor) regardless of whether or not there's light hitting rear-facing sensor?

Thanks, James

Reply to
kilton9