Built like a Mercedes (?)

Best: 126 diesel. Worst: 300SEL 6.3

I'm amazed this thread-that-will-not-die actually cameback to something MB but then usenet never ceases to amaze me.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Don't need to explain it to me, I know why he can't bake.

************************* Dave
Reply to
DTJ

F*** Mercedes. Baking is far more interesting. FWIW the best chefs only use measures in approximation and often just use their experienced eye to throw the ingredients together, yet they cook food that is invariably delicious. An example is the maverick wine slurper Floyd.

and Jamie Oliver

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Teah well, I've seen Jamie Oliver and I've seen a 6.3. Jaime's funny but a 6.3 has far greater entertainment value.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

The best chefs do not approximate measures. The fact that they don't need to measure everything exactly is because they are, in fact, experienced enough to do so. Just because some of these chefs make it look easy doesn't always mean that it is. Anyway, the gist of the argument was simply that one needs to be more precise in their measures (most specifically the dry ingredients) when baking breads and cakes than when making soup. Not that you need to use a micrometer, but you can't just throw flour in the bread mix and say, "yeah, that looks like a cup". Your example of a 'best chef' might be able to eyeball a cup close enough, but those that don't cook for a living or bake daily would be well served to have some measuring cups handy.

But I'll agree with you on your point that cooking is, indeed, very interesting, especially to those of us who love to eat, and would rather make something from scratch than eat take-away. Sharing a good recipe is always a good thing, eh?

Reply to
wolfpuppy

Dave, I've probably forgotten more about cooking than you know. But, since you seem so inclined to be childish about this whole thing (and you seem to be the only one who is) why don't you let the rest of us in on your vast experience in the culinary field. Like, where have you cooked, and for how long. I realize that honesty may not be your forte, but I would be interested in your response nonetheless. We probably all would.

Reply to
wolfpuppy

Assuming there was no salt on those roads.

Reply to
Martin Joseph