Bulbs

A silly question but....... does anyone know how to get to and change a headlight bulb in a chrysler voyager ?

Reply to
Cliff

The usual config for them these days is to use a replaceable halogen bulb. It is not like the old days of "sealed beam" bulbs. (although retrofit kits can be imported from Germany...)

Pop the hood, and look at the back of the bulb assembly. Remove the connector ffrom the back, and the bulb base can be twisted until the locking pins alingn with the slots. Then pull the bulb backwards out of the headlamp assembly. (it is kinda tight in there!)

Once you know what kind of bulb you have, you can get one from just about any auto parts store - even some gas stations.

Seems to me they run $10 to $15 CDN$

NOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When replacing halogen bulbs - WEAR RUBBER GLOVES! if you get your body oils on the bulb, it wont last but a few days and it will burn out! Surgical gloves are good, but just about anything will do.

Put the bulb back in through the rear of the headlight assembly - making sure that the gasket seats properly to prevent moisture getting in to the reflector chamber.

NOTE::::::::

You may want to inspect the headlight assembly BEFORE you replace the bulb! Sometimes the glass is cracked from a rock that flipped up. If there is a crack, then more than likely moisture has leaked into the assembly and caused premature failure of the bulb. Always a good idea to check and make sure things are in good condition before you proceed.

You might want to think about headlight protectors too, depending upon where you drive most often. I know they are expensive, but if you think THEY are expensive, then you better pray you never have to replace the glass portion of the headlight assembly!

hth

Reply to
NewMan

Caravans (at least his vintage) don't have glass headlight lenses.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Mittelstaedt

Reply to
DanFXR

I'm not sure if it applies to the van in question, but the bulb in my

1999 Voyager does not need to be twisted. There is a locking ring that you twist to get it off, then you pull the bulb straight out. The older caravans and voyagers had twisting bulbs, if I remember correctly.

The original poster said "Chrysler Voyager" rather than "Plymouth Voyager", so I would assume that the bulb wouldn't need to be twisted because that is a newer van.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

REMOVAL

(1) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative

cable.

(2) Remove headlamp unit retaining screws.

(3) Remove headlamp unit to expose back of unit.

(4) Remove wiring connector from bulb.

(5) Rotate headlamp bulb retaining ring counterclockwise.

From the 2003 FSM

Reply to
DanFXR

You have to remove the headlight assembly by removing the rear mounting screws - as other posters have mentioned.

And yes, it is in your owner's manual...

Doug

Reply to
Doug