Bypass Compresor 1996 Voyager?

Can anyone tell me how to bypass the compressor on a 1996 Plymouth Voyager? It's shot and I can't afford to get it fixed right now, but while it's connected, I also can't use the defrost.

thx

Reply to
John Davis

Does this vehicle have an engine size?

Reply to
maxpower

Disconnect the clutch -- there should be a connector in the wiring nearby. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

compressor siezed or a bad clutch? i have a used clutch i can sell you there is a kit availble from dorman products that will bypass the compressor

125.00 comes to m> Can anyone tell me how to bypass the compressor on a 1996 Plymouth Voyager?
Reply to
philthy

Reply to
John Davis

Would it be possible to just remove the fuse labeled "A/C"?

Reply to
Ron Seiden

Why don't you just look for the electrical connector for the low pressure switch on the compressor and disconnect it. The clutch wont engage and your comp. will not run at all. I did exactly this on my

93 ZJ (grand cherokee) two years ago and no additional problems since.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

There's a wire that comes out from behind the pulley on the compressor. It controls the clutch that turns the compressor on and off. Disconnect it, and no matter what button you push on the dash, the clutch won't engage.

This assumes that the clutch itself and the clutch bearing are OK, but since you only complain about a problem on "defrost" I assume that this is indeed the case.

Reply to
Steve

If the compressor clutch is bad, take the belt off

Reply to
maxpower

Normally what happens is the air gap between the clutch and the pulley is 0 and the pulley always rubs the clutch as the engine is running, disconnecting the compressor or pulling out fuses will not solve the problem. Remove the belt if the OP does not want to have it fixed

Reply to
maxpower

Then why would he only have a problem on "defrost?"

Reply to
Steve

The original post says he wants to bypass the compressor because it is shot!! Then he says he cant use defrost. The compressor removes the moisture from inside the vehicle when in the defrost/A/C mode. If the compressor is shot to hell and not working, the A/C will not take the moisture out. Maybe Im reading it wrong

Glenn

Reply to
maxpower

The way I was reading it is that the compressor is locked, and while he can choose not to push "AC" he still needs the "defrost" function, and when he turns THAT mode on, the screaming starts ;-)

Reply to
Steve

Dunno. It's worth a try but, don't be surprised if it also disables the heater/defroster blower motor. Disconnecting the clutch for the compressor will surely have the desired effect w/o disabling the blower motor.

Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

...if that belt doesn't also drive something else. Easier is to disconnect the electrical connection to the compressor. Bryan

Reply to
Bryan

I say we punt!!

Glenn