1996 Voyager Transmission Hesitation

1996 Plymouth Voyager. 2.4L. 4 Cylinder. 176K miles.

Now that I've got the engine problem fixed, I'm turning my attention to the transmission.

When putting the vehicle into reverse there is a pause before the transmission "kicks in." This is most noticable on cold days when the delay can be up to 5 or 10 seconds for reverse (which then kicks in and jars everyone's teeth out). Reverse is worse than drive. Cold is worse than warm.

Also, when driving, it seems to take longer to automitcally switch gears than it used to. And seems to hesitate just a tiny bit when upshifting. This is only noticable when it's cold.

Is there any answer besides "the transmission is worn out"?

Thanks in advance.

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

How cold are yer temps?

Respectfully submitted,

Loren Knighton Woodland, CA.

Under the hood since 1964 Member TRNI IATN

BACKNCARDR

Actually, not too cold. I live in east-central New Mexico. So, unless it's a particularly bad day, morning temps usually range 20 - 35 degrees (F) in the worst part of winter.

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle

When was the last time the fluid/filter was changed? That's always a good place to start - you can also see then if there is any/much metal in the pan/around the pan magnet. Also you could get the codes pulled to see if there are any logged faults.

Reply to
Mike

We're all assuming that you've checked the fluid level.

Reply to
High Sierra

Okay, that's where I'll start then. Is there a recommended fluid change interval?

I checked fault codes in relation to the engine problem I was having (different post). It didn't return anything that I think would be applicable to the tranny.

Thanks!

-- Christian

Reply to
Christian M. Mericle